Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

powerlifting routine?

yury
yury
United States
2002/09/15, 06:18 PM
I want to start powerlifting, but I have no routine..and I was wondering if someone here can help me into powerlifting? I have been doing bodybuilding for 2 years and want get bigger through powerlifting, I have average (JOE) genetics... and I was told to lift heavy and get plenty of rest...and I have to do sets of 6 reps...but how many sets was unexplained...I was hoping someone who is experienced in this field can help me... if you can please e-mail... a routine or we can talk through aim...because I really want to succeed in something...and it would be a really big help...into succeeding for my goal which is to compete in at least one event... thank you very much.

----------------------------
** an open minded person that loves knowledge about whatever he/ she pleases is a smart person** - yury
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/09/16, 03:15 PM
Well, then… welcome aboard to Powerlifting! Hopefully soon, we’ll have some sort of strength training program available soon here on FT, but until then, let me see if I can help.

You must center your training on the three lifts. Generally, for a beginning program, you should start off with training 3 times a week, with something like:
1. Monday: Squats
2. Wednesday: Bench
3. Friday: Deadlifts

Each day, start off with that particular lift, followed by auxiliary exercises to strengthen connective tissues and movements. You are correct by saying low reps, high weights. But this does not give you license to have sloppy form! Contrary to the popular belief by those who don’t any better, the 3 lifts, and the training for them, involve extremely tight form and rigid biomechanics. I have often said that the motions involved in the 3 lifts are as precise and focused as a bodybuilder’s posing routine. Reps generally stay in the 4-8 range, and full sets (not warm ups) around 3 or 4.

I’ll work on putting together a beginner’s program for you, as well as some useful web sites, and send it to your FT email. Now, you may have heard of box sets, partials and percentages, etc., but don’t worry about these yet; focus on form and get used to the style first, then you will be able to move on.

Hope that helps………………

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
yury
yury
United States
2002/09/16, 10:30 PM
thank you very, very, very much rev8ball.
I am so thankful of what you are doing, you are helping me succeed for my goal to compete someday...
thank you again.

--------------
** an open minded person that loves knowledge about whatever he/ she pleases is a smart person** - yury