Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Creatine and insulin

ngower
ngower
Canada
2003/01/12, 12:22 AM
I have been taking creatine for about 2 months. I am diabetic on insulin. I have heard from some people that if I time my insulin shoots with my creatine that I can get a better effect from the creatine.

Nathan
ageis
ageis
United States
2003/01/12, 12:49 AM
What type of a diabetic are you? Just from what you said, It sounds pretty reasonable tht you'd get a better effect if you time insulin and creatine intake but it sounds pretty risky taking creatine since you are a diabetic. Quite alot of brands contain lots of sugars. I myself am not a diabetic and maybe totally off, so please explain your situation further so that everyone can get a better understanding.
ngower
ngower
Canada
2003/01/12, 10:08 AM
I am a type one diabetic, which means I am controll it by taking insulin. I am also on an insulin pump, so I am not limited to what I can eat. I simply count the garbs in what I eat, every 10 g of garbs I take 3 units of insulin. I checked with my doc. about the creatine, she said to go a head with it and if I had any troubles to stop taking it. So far I havn't had any troubles. Its working well for me. Now if I use cell tech or something like that that has a lot of sugar and garbs which act very quickly I have to take insulin to cover the garbs in it about 30 - 40 min before I take it.

Nathan
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/12, 11:41 AM
My wife is a type 2 diabetic. She is taking creatine with absolutely no problems. She has been on it now 3 months or more and have made great strength gains without doing the insulin. After you work out is normally the best time for insulin release, to drive nutrients into the muscles. But insulin is normally released in a response to high blood sugar to bring it down. After you work out, your blood sugar should probably be down. Why would you want to take insulin then? Wouldn't that bring it down more? seems like a dangerous proposition to me. Remember, this is for your health.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
connolley
connolley
United States
2003/02/06, 12:31 AM
A guy at the gym told me he didn't use creatine because diabetes runs in his family and creatine increase the risk by 90 percent. Now, obviously this guy might be a fruit cake, but I want to learn more about it because I know that creatine spikes insulin levels and diabetes negatively affects the bodies ability to make insulin. I love the effect creatine has had on me, but man, diabetes would really suck!
robinc1969
robinc1969
United States
2007/09/23, 08:41 PM
What exactly is creatine supposed to do? I am also insulin-dependent diabetic (insulin pump also), and have hypothyroid. Would anyone recommend creatine for this situaion? Any recommendations on losing about 40 lbs?