Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

amino acids

NEDG
NEDG
United States
2002/11/12, 03:30 PM
I am trying to cut fat and at the same time gain muscle. What exactly do amino acids do for you?
Is amino acids a good thing to take? Do I take them before I work out?

Thanks...

----------------------------
nedg
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/11/12, 06:43 PM
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Without the complete 8 essential aminos, the protein chain is broken and pretty much useless. Amino acids are the optimal protein source for building muscle. They create a positive nitrogen balance, which is what we are striving for at all times. Aminos have been shown to be superior to whole proteins in building lean muscle tissue. They can even help retain muscle tissue during dieting. THey are extremely useful to help get the most out of your "whole foods". Taken with your meals will help insure proper utilization of your meal proteins. As far as taking them before you work out, that may be an individual thing. I think then or even during your workout is fine. Cost can play a part. In essence, yes, they are a great thing to take in my view. I always take them, am never out of them.
lvazquez23
lvazquez23
United States
2008/04/15, 07:51 PM
Hi, I'm 34 years old, 5'6" and weight about 150. I'm not over weight, but I have a little of belly.Recently I decided to start working out again:dumbbell:(it has been a while and I want to bring the belly down for my vacation in july).I'm trying the in home workout program and even though this is my 2nd week I'm alredy feeling good.My question is...I bought multi-vitamins, amino-acids and whey protein.Am I doing the right thing, taking the vitamins in the morning, the amino-acids half hour b4 workout and the whey right after the workout, then half hour later mt diner. Please need some advise.:cool:

Also my wife it's working out with me. She's 29, 5'2" and weights 158. A little over weight, but not much. She wants to lose atleast 15 pounds by july. We are eating more healthy and she's doing alot of cardio. She is also taking the multi vitamins in the morning and the whey right after workout, is that ok for somebody that wants to lose weight, and what about amino-acids for her?:cool:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/16, 11:26 AM
Wow, this is an old post. I must conceed, I was literally always in competition mode in those days. Amino acids were a big part of my supplementation. Under normal circumstances, they are probably an uneccesary supplement if you are eating good amounts of protein. The body is in fact pretty efficient at breaking down proteins.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/04/16, 07:28 PM
If you not Squatting and Deadlifting to your full potential then you don't need them!

I for one recover fine except from those 2 lifts and I do a version of both once a week and until I started taking BCAA's on my lifting days only pre workout, during and post 10 grams each I had hell to face in a recovery period.

I had to sit in baths fell of ice and then take a hot shower to get a tad of recovery but with the BCAA's all I do is stretch after and when needed during the week!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!