Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

dextrose/carbs/sugar

BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/03, 01:10 PM
Are these 3 things all the same or what? I understand there are many kinds of sugar - fructose, sucrose, etc.
I also understand that carbs(starches) are converted by the body onto sugar for fuel. But when it's all said and done, are these really all the same? I'm trying to make sense of all this supplementation for building muscle. I read that CARBS should be taken with protein(shakes) and that DEXTROSE should be taken with creatine, but that SUGAR is generally bad. DAMN this is confusing. An earlier post by "JIM" says he buys dextrose seperately and adds it to his shakes to save money, but is this added to creatine shakes or to protein shakes? This cannot possibly be this complicated. Would an experienced, bodybuilding GENIOUS please just explain this to me once and for all.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/04, 02:44 AM
Don't complicated life my dear Bretto lol Okey carbs is all made of sugar yes but veeeeery different ways how the diff types of carbs will react in your body.

You need the dextrose with your creatine (not your protein) to create an insulin spike (better absorbtion of the creatine).

About the other sugars, I think I got a great article explaining everything somewhere...... I'll try to find it for you.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
roelof
roelof
United States
2002/08/04, 01:25 PM

Actually, you would like to have dextrose post workout with your protein also. This is for quick absorbtion of the protein. So you could mix your dextrose, creatine, and protein in your post workout shake.

--------------
If you can squat heavy and have solid sh*ts, what more can you ask for in life?
nobull
nobull
United States
2002/08/05, 09:53 AM
Bretto: when it comes to creatine, the studies indicate 100g of dextrose combined with 5g of creatine to increase creatine uptake via insulin action. A newer study has shown that you can replace 50g of dextrose (a sugar) with 50g of protein. So, 5g of creatine combined with about 50g of dextrose and 50g of protein ought to do the trick.
Yes, with a post training shake, you can take in carbs in the form of sugar. Again, anywhere from a 1:1 ratio to a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. So, it's simple to take a post-training shake that consists of 50-100g carbs, 50g protein, and 5g creatine.
Good luck.
BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/06, 02:16 PM
So I can mix all this stuff together in one magic shake?!?!?
I though I read some posts about not combining certain things because they compete with each other. Also, I work out in the evening, so what about my morning shake? Do I mix dextrose with my morning protein shake? Do I mix creatine with my morning shake? Do I drink all three together or are some of these ingredients only for post workout?
roelof
roelof
United States
2002/08/06, 03:08 PM

Only use destrose in your post-workout shake...NEVER use it at other times of the day. Mix your dextrose, creatine, and protein after you work out.

--------------
If you can squat heavy and have solid sh*ts, what more can you ask for in life?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/07, 01:30 AM
Or you could eat a banana with a piece of whole grained bread with some honey...... A lot more fun!!

But as Roelof says, only after work out!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.