Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Hey! There's protein in my sugar!

norrobbins
norrobbins
United States
2002/05/21, 09:38 PM
Until recently I was igorant about the differences in supplemental powders. I bought the biggest, cheapest 'tub-o-protein' with the coolest picture on it I could find. Then I did my research and I learned a lot. I thought I was buying protein powder, turns out it's 'complete nutrition'. There is 20gm of protein hidden in there. Under 77gm of sugar and 110gm of carbs. Along with a lot of fat.
After my enlightenment I switched to an actual protein powder. Made by the same company and still fairly affordable but with 22g protein, 0 fat, 2g sugar, and 2g carbs.
I've noticed my ever present 'love handles' slowly melting in the two weeks since Ive switched.
Here's a question for those who know better: I've read posts about changing up protein powders once in a while. The powder I have now is soy protein. Should I change to whey at least once in a while?
What's the diference in effects between the tow types of proteins?
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/05/22, 06:32 AM
Your right! When buying protein powders..."Buyer Beware"!!
Do a search on Protein Powders if you don't find your answer I would be surprised!!!!

--------------
Be Impressed, Not Impressive....
Leslie
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/22, 11:07 AM
Whey protein has a much higher biological value than soy. This means the body readily absorbs this type of protein.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
nobull
nobull
United States
2002/06/26, 04:06 PM
Most serious bodybuilders avoid soy because of soy's phytoestrogens. But personally, I use a little soy myself because it has among the highest protein ratios (over 90%), no lactose, no cholesterol, and among the highest ratios of arginine and glycine. And personally, BV is overrated in my opinion. If absorption were a real issue, then switch over or incorporate some peptide-bonded aminos or free form amino acids.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/26, 04:23 PM
Nobull...being a bodybuilder yourself, how can you say that absorption is not a real issue? Wouldn't this be particularly important immediately after a grueling workout? I guess your opinions about whey goes beyond what has been traditionally "learned" through one's journey in bodybuilding. Can you cite some reputable references to substantiate your point of views?

--------------
**_Robert_**
nobull
nobull
United States
2002/06/28, 07:41 AM
Rpacheco:
You're right in that absorption is absolutely critical. I can't disagree with that. However, BV only really matters on paper (and in the minds of people who believe in whey protein hype--generated, of course, by marketing companies). In reality, and in day-to-day applications, BV is usually worthless.
(1) You're not consuming 100% pure, unadulterated protein powders. Most powders contains fillers, such as gums and other binders. These can affect absorption of the protein. So saying right off the bat that just because one protein has a higher BV means it will be better absorbed might be faulty.
(2) Assuming whey has a higher BV than egg, let's say, doesn't mean much in the real world if you are lactose intolerant. If so, you're going to have trouble absorbing whey protein, but not problems with the egg. In this particular case, the egg would be better for the bodybuilder.
(3) Most serious bodybuilders consume in excess of their bodyweight in protein, two, three, even four times their weight. In this scenario of over-saturation, the body is going to absorb as much protein as possible, the excrete excess nitrogen. If we all just ate, for instance, our bodyweight in protein, then BV might possibly be important.
(4) The BV for egg is 100. In supp ads, I've seen BV's advertised for whey well over 120. There is no such thing as 120. 100 is the highest score. In short, egg is fine from a BV point of view, and whey can only be as good as 100 BV.
As a bodybuilder, when I'm consuming large amounts of protein, I first try to get all the protein I can from whole foods, then protein powders. When I'm eating a lot more, I throw in some peptide-bonded amino acids and free amino acids, but these are absorbed even more efficiently than any protein powder.
So yes, absorption is critical. But BV is one of those fancy terms that people like to throw around, but in the real world, BV makes little difference.
That's all I was trying to say.

In re
Nobull...being a bodybuilder yourself, how can you say that absorption is not a real issue? Wouldn't this be particularly important immediately after a grueling workout? I guess your opinions about whey goes beyond what has been traditionally "learned" through one's journey in bodybuilding. Can you cite some reputable references to substantiate your point of views?

=============
ssjslsdd
ssjslsdd
Canada
2002/06/28, 10:16 AM
Finally someone who eats real food. I see alot of people who consume as much protein from powders as from real food, I dont know.... Amen to real food, eat enough of it and it will get absorbed....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/28, 10:44 AM
It's all about the convenience factor that makes us resort to protein powders. In my job, I usually don't have time to prepare 2 additional meals during the day so I have to resort to protein powders. Of course, if I did have a choice, I would ALWAYS want to get my protein from whole foods. There's no other comparable substitute.

I guess I never thought of the BV factors the way you do Nobull. You've given me a fresh perspective on it. As far as those amino acids you take, what brand(s) would you recommend and how often do you take them?

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/28, 12:01 PM
Interesting discussion..

"Finally someone who eats real food. I see alot of people who consume as much protein from powders as from real food, I dont know.... Amen to real food, eat enough of it and it will get absorbed...."

Protein powders account for less than a third of my daily intake. I carry around at least four meals when I go to work.

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
nobull
nobull
United States
2002/07/15, 11:11 AM
Whole foods is definitely the way to go. The average non-competitive bodybuilder can have difficulty getting enough protein from whole foods. This is when a quality protein supp is important. Truly, protein supps are about convenience for the average lifter. Plain and simple.
Now about amino acids, protein found in whole foods and protein shakes do not exert pharmacological benefits. If you read any fo the literature on amino acids (e.g., arginine, ornithine, glycine, etc. on growth hormone release), then you realize that individual amino acids exert pharmacological benefits. Me, I rarely use individual free form aminos. I prefer complete formulas, like Twinlab's Amino Fuel or Universal's 23 Aminos. I also like Champion's Power Glutamine.