Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Tyrosine

Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/02/16, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know anything about Tyrosine? I've heard it's good for helping borderline hypothyroidism, and I'm wondering if it will help me get rid of my freezing tendencies. Thanks for any info!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/02/16, 02:07 PM
tyrosine is an amino acid that is a pre-cursor to several neuro-transmitters including epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine, and thyroxin. theoretically, supplementation with it should help any of the operations that these transmitters function with (i.e., thyroxin is from the thyroid) by incresing the available "pool" of from which these are made. however, i have never seen any peer-reviewed study that positively identified any conclusive evidence of the like. in fact, i know of one study from the University of AZ that concluded tyrosine did NOT exhibit any anti-depressive characteristics as once believed that it should since it is a pre-cursor to dopamine.

hope that helps.............michael
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/02/16, 02:39 PM
Michael - I've seen a couple of studies o tyrosine ref depression that were favourable. In my case, after a long down time that was turning into a depression episose, the doctor suggested I try it for awhile to preclude getting onto the heavier Prozaz. This has nothing to do with the thyroid question but it's been the only thing I've taken for depresstion (although mild) and it did help me. Who know, maybe the placebo affect.

Mike
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/02/16, 04:48 PM
That's interesting about the antidepressant part. That might even be a bonus! :) Thanks for all your info on it!