Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

question about supplements

sfurtado
sfurtado
Canada
2002/07/04, 03:10 PM
Hello all! First of all, let me start off by saying what a great site this is! I've been exploring the site for about a month now and have found a lot of helpful information.

My question is about supplements. I've been training for about 2 months now (weights-3 times a week and cardio-3 times a week) have having been following an eating plan consisting of 5 small meals a day. Here's a sample of what I eat:
Meal 1 - 4 egg whites
Meal 2 - 1/3 cup oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder
Meal 3 - small chicken breast with greens (broccoli or spinach)
Meal 4 - protein bar or shake
Meal 5 - fish with steamed veggies

My problem is that ever since I started training, I've actually put on weight. I know that it's probably muscle weight that I am gaining, but my concern is that I haven't lost any body fat. My body fat is still 27%. Are there any good supplements that I can take that will help me to lose the body fat?

Thanks a lot.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/05, 01:23 PM
Increasing your cardio and continuing with a clean diet should replace any supplement you can take.

As far as supplementation, fat burners are popular. Stick to the more popular ones and you'll be fine. Of course, you should always consult with your physician before taking these if you have any pre-existing medical conditions.

Good luck and welcome here!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
sfurtado
sfurtado
Canada
2002/07/05, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/06, 01:49 AM
Hmmmm for me you are not eating enough.
To turn up your metabolism you need to eat more. You also need to put on some muscles (lean mass) but you cannot do this without eating some more FOOD!!!!
Try to calculate your total calorie needs.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/06, 10:40 PM
Why would you lose the protein bars. As long as they are not high in fat or carbs, they are a good snack throughout the day. Muscletech makes good protein bars (about 25 grams protein and low fat/carbs). If you have a busy schedule, protein bars and shakes are a good meal replacement.

--------------
Lisa
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/07, 02:01 AM
Yes Lisa, iceman got a point. When you're in comp prep try to eat more REAL food and less protein bars and shakes as well.

Protein bars are good once in a while but don't count on them.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
sfurtado
sfurtado
Canada
2002/07/08, 11:32 AM
The bars that I eat are Nitro-tech bars. They have about 35g of protein, 5g of carbs and roughly 7g of fat. They taste pretty good for protein bars. For the shakes, I mix 1 scoop of protein powder with 8oz of skim milk. I tried making the shake with water, but I didn't like the taste. I'll definitely try the yogurt though...works out cheaper than the bars.

According to my nutrition profile, my total caloric intake should be 1768 calories a day. What else do you suggest that I add to my diet Philia?