Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

how many sets?

highlander_28_i
highlander_28_i
Ireland
2002/04/03, 01:29 PM
hi , my problem is iv,e just started a muscle mass program, and iv,e been given a workout routine for 12 weeks 4 times a week. the thing is , the sets are e.g 1 set-20 reps,,,
2 sets-14 reps 3 sets-10 reps and so on. Now do i pick one out of the three and do no more, or do i start with 1 set-20 reps, and rest, then 2 sets-14 reps, and rest ,and so on please help, because of my lack of knowledge, i am performing all sets, and am worried i might be toning + shaping instead of building mass ?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/03, 01:45 PM
The ft mass program is built on a pyramid system. This means that you will be doing all 4 or 5 sets, starting off with lighter weights at the higher rep. range (this acts as your warmup before taking on heavier weights), then add more weights are you progress with the lower range of reps. Your final set should be about 80-95% of your maximum.

The key, however, is not to concentrate on the heavy weight but rather on good form! Once you perfect your form, the increase in weights will come naturally and gradually.

Good luck on your program (this is a difficult but effective program) and keep us updated on your progress!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/04, 11:34 AM
Damn, I've been doing it all worng then.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
TiredRob
TiredRob
United Kingdom
2002/04/06, 04:50 AM
Hey, I think I also had it wrong then.. I'm only just about to start, but I'd been planning on the following:

I was going to set the weight for the maximum I could complete the first set of 20 reps, then keep the same weight and try to complete the following sets (after a 1 minute rest period between each set). I assumed that with the same weight, I'm only going to be capable of completing less reps each time anyway, so it would go as per instructions.. 20, then 15, then 12, then 10 for example. Do I have this all wrong ? Should I be changing the weight between sets then ? I'd be very grateful if anybody can put me straight before I actually begin (Monday!)

Thanks in advance,

Rob.
TiredRob
TiredRob
United Kingdom
2002/04/06, 04:51 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/06, 10:20 AM
Like I've said before, ft's programs are schemed using the pyramid system. If your program calls for 20, 12, 8, 4 reps. of a given exercise, for example, then your weights should be as follows:

20 reps. at 50 pounds
12 reps. at 60 pounds
8 reps. at 70 pounds
4 reps. at 80 pounds

The last set assumes that the weights used is between 80-100% of you 1 rep. maximum. Since you are a beginner, you won't necessarily know what your max. may be. Therefore, only lift what you are capable of on your last set.

Remember, the first set is designed as your warm up. You can choose to go lighter on the weights. Concentrate on form (contract your muscles hard at the peak of the movement). You can even pause for a second or two so that you begin to feel that burning sensation from the very first set.

The example above is only an example. Use your judgment as far as what poundage to use for each set. Don't go too heavy as you risk being injured.

Good luck! Your quest for a sculpted body is just a few days away...
TiredRob
TiredRob
United Kingdom
2002/04/07, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the info rpacheco :)
TiredRob
TiredRob
United Kingdom
2002/04/09, 03:08 PM
Ok,

I started yesterday, and tried as suggested, but I found that since I'd started the first set with a wieght I could just about manage to complete the reps with, I was soon struggling to complete the correct number of reps for some of the following sets..

There's absolutely no way I could have loaded the weights any more for the 2nd, 3rd & 4th sets, my arms were just too gone!

Does that mean I should lower the weight for the first set then, even though I was completing that one ok ? I just about managed to complete most of my excersises with the correct amount of reps, but fell short on a couple.

Thanks for any help

Rob.

p.s. At the end of all this my arms felt like balloons! I guess it's doin' something right then ;¬)
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/09, 04:50 PM
Rob, you are doing them correctly! That's how you're supposed to feel as you progress using the pyramid system. You could lighten the weights...for example, if you added 10 pounds between set 3 and 4, and you're only able to do 3 reps. instead of 6, lower the weight by 5 pounds. Remember, concentrate on good form. Even though you're doing less reps., the good form will more than compensate. The heavy weights will come soon enough...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/09, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it definetly felt much better doing it properly.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.