Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Hello...

skipedmonds
skipedmonds
United States
2002/01/02, 09:37 AM
I know this is extremely cliche'ish...but it is a new year and I have made a goal and promise to myself and loved ones to drop 100 lbs this year...I found this site and have really found it informative...the only thing I could not find help with is a cardio program...I really lacking in this area and could really use some help...I am 6' tall and weigh approx 350 lbs...I have been told that it is impossible for me to run because of the beating my joints...I really would like to incorporate a running/jogging/walking program as I am trying to become a police officer and many departments require a sprint and a distance run...so I really need help in this area...any advice would be greatly appreciated...skip
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/02, 01:11 PM
Skip, welcome to ft! How long has it been since your last cardio/aerobic activity? To lose weight, you'll have to incorporate a program 3 - 4 days per week to start. If you haven't done any kind of aerobic activity in a while, start off slow (with something like a treadmill or stationary bike -- something low impact). Once you've done this for a week or two, you'll want to step up to high impact to get you prepared for the police physical exam (I heard this was pretty rigorous). You'll also have to change your diet and stick to it with discipline! The keys to losing weight are exercise (to burn off calories) and a sound diet (low-calorie). Good luck!
skipedmonds
skipedmonds
United States
2002/01/02, 06:09 PM
thanks for the reply...I started on the treadmill today...did 15 mins at a med to fast walk...then worked out with weights then finished up with another 15 mins on the treadmill to kind of cool down...I am going to stick to a diet...nothing fancy just no sodas, sweets, and nothing after 9 pm...( I go to bed around midnight )...hope that will get me to a good start...
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/02, 06:50 PM
sounds like a good plan. good luck.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/03, 03:01 AM
Hi Skipedmonds, welcome in here and congrats to your new life change.
Don't hurt yourself by running to early; start walking a lot and when that get easy walk uphill.
Swimming is also a good cardio and maybe you'll need it to change a little and stay motivated.
Great luck to you, and keep us posted!!!