Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Hack Squat Sled.

malfisher
malfisher
United Kingdom
2002/04/29, 10:40 AM
Hi All

I would like to hear opinions about the hack squat sled. I have read that the usage of the sled for squatting is inferior to a barbell squat. Since I am pretty well convinced on the benefits of squatting, I would like to do it. The sled is a lot more convenient for me, as I dont need a spotter. I have used it for 5 weeks so far, and it seems ok to me. I use the sled in conjunction with the leg press. I been told to try doing squats on the smith machine, again, any opinion?

The reason that I am not attempting regular barbell squats at the moment is my training partner (and very good teacher of 25 years experience) does not like them, so is reluctant to train me in the correct form. This is due to an accident he had whilst squatting years back, and as he said, "I dont want to be doing exercises any more that could possibly put me off work for a month". I cannot argue with that logic. Also, I have huge stiffness in shoulders when I attempt to get a bar behind my neck (this may be normal in a beginner?). I would be interested to hear any opinions or advice.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/29, 11:12 AM
Something like this? -> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SLHackSquat.html ..
If so then I'ved used a machine similar to it a few times.. Machines will help you keep strict form but freeweights are better and you won't have any muscles working to stablize you.. I can't ever get a good stretch with a hack squat machine (maybe not going deep enough?).. with freewights you can try to practice your form with maybe just the bar.. stand next to a mirror to watch yourself.. also what do you mean that your shoulders hurt from getting the bar behind your neck?.. are you using a squat rack to get the bar on your shoulders?... Also make sure the bar isn't too high up on your neck.. it should be lower and resting on your shoulders.. if you flex maybe your back and put it on your shoulders it should be in a spot where it almost feels like it would roll off (but don't let it.. i'm sure I don't have to explain why)... I hope some of this helps...
malfisher
malfisher
United Kingdom
2002/04/29, 02:41 PM
Yes, that looks like the exact machine. I do manage to get right down on it, but can (I think) understand about stabilizing, as obviously with the barbell I have to learn to balance the weight myself, and you cant go out of shape with the sled.

I have not tried the rack yet, I was attempting to use a broomstale at home to practice the move, as advised on a web site, but couldnt get the stale down to the top of my back. I realise that to rest the bar on the back of the neck would not be good! :) Thanks for the comments, I will try the bare bar in the rack next time I'm at the gym, to see if I can position it correctly.

ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/05/22, 06:26 AM
I love the sled...I just bought one cuz I cannot handle heavy weight on the squat bar (low back prob)....I have made great gains using the vertical leg press.

--------------
Be Impressed, Not Impressive....
Leslie
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/22, 11:34 AM
I have not personally tried that machine, but I feel that your abs don't get as good of a workout as free weight squatting. It's true that you incorporate more of your stabilizer muscles by using free weights...however, I find that I can squat with heavier weights on a Smith machine as the weights are already raised above the shoulders and there's no need for a spotter. I really think that a combination of both will greatly enhance your squatting...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!