Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Whats a good way...

All2Royal
All2Royal
United States
2002/11/24, 02:18 AM
Whats a good way to decifer how much weight to start out with? I'm starting with a FT program and am really excited; however, with my weight reps I'm not sure at what weight I should start with on this program. The site's disclaimer says that a good way to start is that if you're required to do 20 reps then choose a weight that you could only do 21 reps with, but the question is: How do you figure out what weight will give you that effect when you're first starting into this program?

I searched for this question within the boards with no luck. If there has been a similar post, I apologize for my blonde hair ;)

Thanks!
S
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/11/24, 10:51 AM
It's just trial and error really. Starting out is always a learning experience and it's always good to first focus on form before worrying too much about weight. 20 is your warm up set, so going light on that is a good thing and I think from there you'll be able to gauge what weights you can lift at the lower reps.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/11/24, 11:05 AM
Don't try to make it more difficult than it is. As Lumina says, trial and error. It normally takes a week or 2 to get your weights down to where you know what is right for you. Just start out light, and see. You will find out really fast. Good to have a spotter when you first start in case you choose the wrong weight. Best of luck to you and welcome to FT. Keep posting on your results so we can be of aid to you.