Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

fighting shape

garton311
garton311
United States
2002/03/31, 03:06 AM
I need to know how to get in cardio shape fast. I'm 27, I use to box when I was 16, and just joined kickboxing. The guys teaching me want me to fight May 11. They say I,m more skilled than most of the other guys they sparr, and they all compete. I feel pretty confident in my skills, and I've been doing more cardio work for the last month and a half. I'm up to 2.14 miles in 15/min. and I'm getting better pretty fast, but running just don't compare to sparring. I want to fight, but I don't want to run out of gas. So how do I get in fighting shape fast, do you think wind sprints would help.

----------------------------
Tony
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/03/31, 12:45 PM
It has been my experience that the only way to get into fighting shape is to fight. Runners run, wrestlers wrestle, fighters fight. There are plenty of other supportive exercises one can do, skipping rope is one of my favorites, same with bag work. I like to do circuit work. Stations are set up as follows, pushups/crunches, upper body bag work (jabs, crosses, etc), lower body bag work (front leg roundhouses, fl axe, inverted kicks etc), skipping rope, break. Go through each station twice with 2 minutes a piece. Of course you only get out what you put into it. If you put a lot in, you will be gassed at the end of the circuit.

Do I think wind sprints would help? Well, they won't hurt. But like I said at the beginning of this post, fighters fight. That is the best way to get you into fighting shape.
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/03/31, 12:48 PM
Oh... I left out another favorite. Line drills. This is doing a specific technique the length of your dojo. Example, lunging side thrusts or 360 round houses. Try doing this down and back.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/31, 01:10 PM
I used to box when I was 16, too. When I played high school football, I was in great shape. This helped a LOT when I sparred. One of the main reasons I feel football helped me with my boxing was the running of hard sprints during practice. Football, like boxing, is an explosive sport. Jogging/running is great for endurance, but you have the train explosively to be explosive in the ring. Running sprints and doing plyometrics, in my honest opinion, should be a big part of your routine. Of course, as stated above, you have to practice fighting to to be a competitive fighter; but boxing, kickboxing, karate, etc are not slow-motion sports. Train explosively and this will help you in a major way come May 11th. Best of luck to you!!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/01, 11:00 AM
Heavy, heavy bag work and lots of jump rope! Practice speed kicks and punches on the bag, and go all out on power! These will work wonders for you. These were part of my training routine when I was involved in the martial arts.

The bag work will also help toughen those parts of your body you will use in kickboxing (shins, feet, heels, knuckles, elbows, etc.).

Good luck and train hard!

--------------
**_Robert_**
garton311
garton311
United States
2002/04/08, 10:43 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I'm working hard at putting it all to good use. And thanks for wishing me luck jbennet.
garton311
garton311
United States
2002/04/08, 10:48 PM
And thanks to you too rpacheco for wishing me luck and I'll be shure to.