Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Multiple Questions

Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/03/25, 08:52 PM
Hey everyone! There are a few questions I've wanted to ask, but I always forget to. So here goes:
1) Why is it that when I do a tricep press on the cable machines and use "heavy" (for me) weight does it feel like my tricep is going to rip out of my arm on the extension part? Am I extending too much? Are my elbows too close to my body?
2) How do I know when to stop being in the Beginner category and move up to the Intermediate and, eventually, advanced category? When I first started doing the FT programs, I did two 8 week Intermediate programs, but found I couldn't do some of the exercises (wide grip pull up, the lateral raise using the cable machine, etc.). I am now on my 2nd or 3rd beginner program.
3) How often should I increase my weight? How do I know where my limit is?
Thanks in advance. Let me know if I am being too vague.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/03/27, 06:21 AM
1) thats because you are using heavy weight and really working that muscle. if the feeling is sharp pain, reduce the weight to avoid injury.
2)everyone moves at a different pace. when the beginner programs seem "just a little too easy" your ready to move to intermediate. if you did 2 interm. and now 3 beginner programs I would think its time to move up. Try it if its too tough just drop back to beginner.
3)Incresing weights is also very individual depending on your goals and the program you are doing. For example this week I am doing 4 sets of eight reps. If I can do 8 reps and still could of done a few more I will move up the weight 2 1/2- 5 pds (upper body)on the next rep (5-10 on the lower body.) Make sense??

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work.........Leslie
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/03/27, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your input. Maybe I will move down the weight on my tricep extension, I just hate feeling like I'm not moving forward.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/03/27, 09:54 PM
" I am now on my 2nd or 3rd beginner program."

If you don't feel you are moving forward, perhaps you are overtraining? If you've done 3 8 week programs without a break, your body really needs a rest. Try taking a week off in between each program. You'll come back refreshed and ready to lift!

--------------
"Do not try. Do. Or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/03/28, 09:45 PM
Well, actually, I didn't finish my last program because I went out of town for two weeks, so I am definitely rested...a little too rested if you ask me. I couldn't even fit into my pants when I got back!