Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Seperated shoulder

Oilfan94
Oilfan94
Canada
2003/03/28, 12:54 PM
A few years ago I severly seperated my shoulder while snow boarding. I had it checked out and the doc popped it back in then I had it in an immobilizer for about 4-5 weeks.

I have been working out on a steady basis for over a year now and I have found that certain exersices/movements can cause pain in the injured shoulder. Upright rows, behind-the-head pull downs and behind-the-head shoulder press. I have stayed away from these exersices and concentrated on other movements for training the affected muscle groups.

So here is my question...should I continue to stay away from these specific movements or should I try to work with them to strengthen the weakened shoulder joint?

----------------------------
Mike
ebabe1026
ebabe1026
United States
2003/03/28, 01:54 PM
I have the same issue going on with my 2 week old shoulder injury and tennis elbow. Doc says don't even think about doing any upper body, however I thought I'd test my strength 2 days ago & that was a HUGE mistake. So, as tormenting as it is to stay away from the weight training for upper body, I've just refocused and am simply diving more into lower body & HIIT for the next couple weeks.

Hope ya heal quickly!! Don't prolong the healing process by doing more harm than good.

--------------
You only get ONE body, take care of it and it'll take care of YOU!
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/03/28, 04:26 PM
Well, any movement performed behind the neck will put undo stress on the rotator cuff muscles in anybody. If you have had prior injuries, I would highly recommend that you NOT perform these movements. I would never recommend these movements to anybody, because people usually do them wrong anyway, and I don't care how long they have been working out. Ditch those exercises.