Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

shoulder injury

fatboyuk69
fatboyuk69
United Kingdom
2002/12/21, 03:52 PM
Hi
I just joined FREETRAINERS.COM and need some help. I recently had a horrific car accident in which I broke my neck and injured my left shoulder/bicep. I have just had an operation on my neck and it should get better in about 6 weeks. The problem I have is that my left shoulder muscle mass has wasted away and I have lost all strength in my left bicep. I am having physiotherapy but need to know that when I eventually get back to my training what do I do to get my strenght back. Its like there is nothing left in my left bicep.

Please help.Thanks
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2002/12/23, 10:22 AM
Sorry about your injury. It will simply take patience to regain your strength. Try exercises that make you use both arms at the same time, i.e. barbell curls, military presses. This will provide maintenance weight for your strong arm and building weight for your weak arm. I suggest this rather than single arm exercises because the disparity in size and strength between your arms would stay the same. I assume your immediate goal is to regain symmetry. Bottomline, back to my first point, is patience. Be careful not to impead your progress due to overtraining. Good luck.
fatboyuk69
fatboyuk69
United Kingdom
2002/12/24, 02:31 PM
Thanks for your reply. Good idea. I'll give your suggestion a try when I get back to training in February.

============
Quoting from the_w8lifter:

Sorry about your injury. It will simply take patience to regain your strength. Try exercises that make you use both arms at the same time, i.e. barbell curls, military presses. This will provide maintenance weight for your strong arm and building weight for your weak arm. I suggest this rather than single arm exercises because the disparity in size and strength between your arms would stay the same. I assume your immediate goal is to regain symmetry. Bottomline, back to my first point, is patience. Be careful not to impead your progress due to overtraining. Good luck.
=============