Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder injury? please help

Zackp
Zackp
United States
2002/12/04, 08:18 PM
When i first started lifting 4 years ago i always remember having a pain in my shoulder when i did chest and such. the pain is located on the side of arm not the top of the shoulder. say from the top of your shoulder, you go down to where the bicept starts and its right there on the side of the arm. So when i started lifting again, i was going good for about 3 months with no pain at all, then all of a sudden i have pain, and its worse. it doesnt really hurt where i cant move my arm its more of a discomfort and a burn. Has anyone had a shoulder injury like this, that needs surgery or something, or is it like a little strain that i should just go easy on it at the gym and work through it?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/04, 09:32 PM
I would go easy on it. If it persists see a Dr.
I had the same pain in that area a while back when I did Incline dumbell presses, I lowered the weight and it helped.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
Zackp
Zackp
United States
2002/12/05, 01:01 PM
The pain comes mostly when doing flat bench with a bar, and any type of incline and sometimes doing flies
NebraskaBarnes
NebraskaBarnes
United States
2002/12/28, 07:37 PM
Hey!

I had the same type of pain in my left arm as you described after increasing my workout and weight. I then found that using a wider grip and not tying to force the weight up made it better, and it almost gone now. Also, there is no problem with taking motrin for the pain.

============
Quoting from zackp:

The pain comes mostly when doing flat bench with a bar, and any type of incline and sometimes doing flies

=============

--------------
Pain is just weakness leaving your body!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/12/30, 08:34 AM
zack - check out this link. It may not specifically apply to what you're referring to but the principle is the same. I used to have some major joint/shoulder problems and this type of volume training literally made it a thing of the past. We often forget to concentrate on the weaker areas to make the bigger gains.

http://www.dolfzine.com/page393.htm#Top
jsternod
jsternod
United States
2003/01/12, 07:26 PM
Zack - I have been dealing with similar pain for about a year now. My doctor diagnosed it as impingment syndrome and said it was due to overuse of my shoulders (i've been training hard for over 10 years). I've now had 2 Cortisol injections in my right shoulder and the pain and discomfort has pretty much gone away. You may have something different though so I would recommend going to a doctor and getting it looked at by an expert.