Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Training Injury Question

spdog
spdog
United States
2002/03/21, 03:26 PM
I'm currently involved is a very rigorous training program in preparation for service in the Navy SEALs.

Last June I hurt my right shoulder doing the bench press. I was working out with 150, but decided to go up to 170. Apparently this was too big of a jump. I was able to do the weight, but it hurt like hell after I was finished. Anything I did that resulted in using whatever I injured, pushups, bench, throwing my right arm in a punching motion, etc., resulted in extreme pain. So I totally laid off until the pain went completely away, which was about 2 months.

I started working out again around August-Sept. At first my right shoulder area would hurt a little, but it wasn't the same kind of pain, it was from that side being weaker than that other. Since then I've kept working out and nothing hurts any more, and both sides seem to be just as strong. I'm benching 200 now, which is considerably more than what I was doing before, and can do more pushups (150 in 2 minutes) than I ever could.

However my right arm still isn't the same as the other. Since the injury it doesn't have the same range of motion as the other. If I reach up and try to scratch my back I am almost able to touch my neck with my left arm, but with my right arm, the one that was injured, I can't get past my left shoulder blade. And I've also noticed that my right arm tends to make more popping sounds than the other, like when you pop your fingers. When doing dive bombers it's very noticeable. If I swing my arm inward in front of my chest really fast in a circular motion, to the left when swinging right arm, and to the right when swinging the left arm, the right (injured) arm makes a quiet little pop when my fist is facing the floor. It does this each time around the circle.

My theory is that the injury tore something that then had to re-grow, which isn't as long as it was before. Which would cause the lack of range, which is what's causing the noise. I figure that stretching will make this go away, like learning to do the splits...

What is the story? Something to worry about? Will it go away? Just ignore it?

Thanks.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/03/27, 11:21 PM
more likely you tore something and may have some scar tissue...but I am not even close to being a Dr. so maybe an exray/exam is in order here. Injury's that last for extended periods of time need mediacal attention. You may need therapy for your shoulder. I slammed a finger in the car door 1 year ago (ouch) I built up scare tissue and lost some range of motion. I am doing a finger exercises to help it..silly but one year later it is still stiff and some days it still hurts. Good luck keep us posted.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/28, 10:22 AM
I agree...go see a doc. It's very easy to just live with it...but for me, if things are not the same, I'd like to know why.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**