Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Kyphosis Cures?

Ironbod
Ironbod
United States
2002/01/18, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know of a way to reduce the curvature of the upper back. I have been told to sit or stand with good posture, but all that did was curve my lower back. When I bend over to tie my shoes or stretch I look like a hunchback. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/21, 01:24 AM
Go see a chiropractor or orthopedist. They can help you with exercises, or surgery if needed. The sooner you get assistance,the easier it will be to fix! :)
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/21, 11:07 AM
Alorle is right! There's no magic workout routine that will lessen the curvature. This one needs medical attention.
Ironbod
Ironbod
United States
2002/01/21, 12:05 PM
I just started going to a chiropractor a couple weeks ago, I was just wandering if there was something I could do on my own to help more. Thanks for the advice!
irontrainer
irontrainer
Canada
2002/03/02, 02:01 PM
Most scenarios with a "hunch back" posture means that the chest/deltoids are really tight, and the upper back is very weak and stretched out. So first of all, I would definately cut down on the chest workouts, and focus more on strengthening the rhomboids/midtraps of your middle back to help pull back your shoulders. also the external rotators of the shoulder. You will need to do lots of stabilization exercises in the shoulder blade area to help strengthen the back up. Ontop of strengthening the back you will need to strengthen the transversus abdominus muscles. These are the deep core muscles in your stomach. The T-Abs are very important in keeping your pelvis in a neutral position. This means that you will avoid a pelvic tilt either anteriorally or posteriorally. anterior means when your butt sticks out, and posteriorally means when your tail bone comes underneath raising your hip bones. t-abs can be recruited when you lay on your back, find your hip bones, and diagonally down about an inch, try coughing and you should feel little muscles there. suck your stomach towards your spine, and keep tight, this will help keep your spine in neutral. maintain normal breathing, then try lifting one foot off the ground, without losing that neutral position. this is kinda difficult to explain over an e-mail i appologize for that. in my opinion the best thing to do is to also check out physiotherapy, the chiropractor is good but if your muscles are weak then most often you will fall back into that same slouching position. creates a cycle of going back and forth to the chiropractor. w/ physio they can assess you, find out what's strong, and weak in your body. then give you some exercises to work out. hopefully this helps out a bit. let me know. good luck!!!