Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Leg pain during high reps..

tnman
tnman
United States
2001/02/11, 05:37 PM

I am a 41 year old white male , i am 5'10 and weigh around 200lbs. I have been working out for around 8 years , and most of that time has been spent working out with younger guys that are into power lifting. I have been doing low rep ( 10 or less) heavy Squats for several years. I always do at least 4 heavy sets per workout , and do them once a week. When i say heavy squats i mean anywhere from 315lbs for 10 reps or 405lbs for 4 reps, and i do them with strict form , always going to horizontal. At 41 with the desire to try to gain more energy , and become more cut .I've recently tried to change my workout routine to one with lighter weight such as 225lbs , and 15 to 20 reps per set, but have found that when i try to do higher reps or even run for half a mile or further that my Thighs especially on my left leg try to cramp up. The muscles will get so tight that they feel like their going to burst out of my skin. This pain is mostly right above my knee to the outside of my legs in the Vastus Lateralis area. Is there something wrong with my legs or have i trained them so long at low reps , and heavy weight that they can't handle higher reps ?..Any help or advise
would be greatly appreciated.

tt_rocker
tt_rocker
Saudi Arabia
2001/02/13, 12:37 AM

I sometimes shift from low reps to high ones...variation is very important when weight training to stunt the muscles..if you've been going for low reps and a lot of weight for the last 8 years..it shouldn't be surprizing that your thighs have become so used to this type of training that it won't respond to your current program as easy...but that should only happen at first..you should have no problem in time as long as you stretch throughly and do a moderate # of sets.
bore
bore
United States
2001/02/20, 05:25 AM
Make sure to warm up your legs, and stretch them daily. Drink plenty of water, and keep enough potasium in your body. If this doesn't seem to help, see a doctor, just to be safe.

Rob
sunnyjack
sunnyjack
United States
2001/03/24, 02:56 PM
Body building vs power lifting. Your muscles have a lot of adjustments to make - I think if you continue with the lower weight/higher reps your legs will respond well.