Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Painful squats

I_sly
I_sly
United Kingdom
2000/12/07, 01:00 AM
I get pain in my soft spot right above my knee cap after squating. I have strong quads so I know that is not the prob....any thoughts?
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2000/12/10, 01:44 AM
Looks like we have no physio people in here yet :) soon! I really have no idea what would cause that pain, BUT, just out of curiosity, have you ever tried squatting with your knees wrapped up? I used to do that when I was squatting more than I should have been :).. everyone goes through that stage in their training life.. BUT, after wrapping my knees up with those stretchy wrap things, I found that it took a LOT of stress off the knee caps...
I_sly
I_sly
United Kingdom
2000/12/10, 05:53 PM
I think that may be the key. I am glad we are the ONLY ones with physical problems:) How long have you been lifting?
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2000/12/10, 09:22 PM
haha yeah.. nobody has physical problems :)

I've been training since I was 14... so that makes 8 years now! But I've only been serious about training for about 4 years or so, the first 3-4 years of highschool were my "fooling around" years.

How about you?
I_sly
I_sly
United Kingdom
2000/12/12, 01:14 AM
OH yea that sounds familiar. I have been training since I was 16. So, about 8 years. I have been doing it "right", if there is a "right", for a few years and I keep learning that with all I think I know, I still don't know jack. So I am assuming you are roughly 23-25?
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2000/12/12, 05:04 PM
8 years since I was 14 makes 22 :) You know, the longer you are in the sport, the more you learn.. Beginners usually think there is a 'right' way to train, and they do it, so they think they're doing it right. More advanced people know that no matter how much you know, there's always more to know.. If after 8 years I'm still learning new things, there's gotta be a lot to know.. It's just that it's hard to come across people that know *new* things that you don't know... so knowledge comes slowly...

Hopefully we can build a world-class training community here where everyone shares their ideas (it's starting already!) That way everyone would be able to benefit from the service.. It feels good to help someone out, and it feels great to be helped out too! And no matter how much you know, there will always be things that you don't know.
xavier
xavier
United States
2000/12/12, 06:37 PM
If your knees are hurting maybe u should lay off squats for a while and stick with hack sqauts and leg presses.
xavier
xavier
United States
2000/12/16, 09:02 PM
to help take the stress off your knees use a smithmachine and put your feet farther foward if it still is to much stress its your knees you should hav them checked out
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2000/12/13, 10:19 AM
with what xaveir said..

I would NOT recommend hack squats since they place a tremendous amount of stress on your knees.. one way to work around the pain is light leg extensions or wraps for lighter squats.

Good Luck.
Susina
Susina
Bangladesh
2000/12/14, 03:20 AM
Make sure you are doing the exercise right!!

Deep Squats pose a risk of hyperflexion or compression of the knee

Instead, squat 90 degrees or untill the thighs are parallel to the floor;
when weight training use a weight belt with heavier weights and do not let knees go beyond the toes!

Happy training :-)
Dvdgstwrt
Dvdgstwrt
United States
2000/12/30, 11:43 AM
If you are doing full squats you could be over stretching tendons, muscle, ligaments. First, try slow stretching, such as a slow squat (don't force your self all the way down) with no weight, several times, holding the lowest point for a five count.

Second, try using a chair behind you (or bench) to keep you from going too far down. Doing a half squat will keep down the abuse on your knees.

Third, schedual a doctors appointment, you may have done some major damage in the past and you feel it when you do those squats. (I had torn my cartlidge years ago and had been aggrevating the problem with out knowing it, I had to under go surgery to remove the damaged tissues. Now I'm not allowed to do full squats with massive weights - but I do 1/2 or 3/4 squats, working the thighs effectively)

Fourth, and this is always important, make certain that your toes are pointed the right way and that you have your heels on a two by four. These two preventatives will safe you much pain. Cheers
allgino4life
allgino4life
United States
2000/12/30, 04:29 PM
maybe that is a muscle that has been avoided some how or maybe you should stop doing sqauts for a while and do other excersices to replace it.
tt_rocker
tt_rocker
Saudi Arabia
2001/01/17, 08:22 AM

I was just squating like an hour ago and felt those quads burning....but I take good precaution when doing this exercise to avoid any injuries especially in the back. I attach a pad right in the middle of the barbell where it usuually rests on my traps...and when lowering the weight I keep my feet pointed straight...my eyes lookin' up ahead...and try not to tilt my head. The form is pretty important....perfect it first then starting adding weight...BTW...I prefer doing the exercise using a smith machine it's safer in my point of view especially if there's no spotter to give u a hand.