Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10866

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Fear of working out with the guys!

Kwillsucceed10
Kwillsucceed10
United States
2017/03/15, 02:53 PM
Hey everyone. My biggest obstacle is getting over my fear of working out with all of the "fit" gym goers. I need to use those machines to back to my goal weight, but I always freak out when I see how fit everyone is! The guys are strong and built, the few ladies are tiny and strong. So I head to the group cardio classes with women more like myself. I feel very self-conscious about it! Any tips or advice?
ffeJ
ffeJ
United States
2017/03/21, 09:59 PM (Edited: ffeJ - 2017/03/21, 10:02 PM)
Just remember many of the very people you see fit and trim may not have been that way too long ago.They made a choice to get in the gym and I'm fairly sure it's because they had some issue areas they wanted to tighten up.Look at them as motivation for you and your goals.If they can do it,so can you.Set realistic goals and take it one day at a time.Trust me,when you start to see the results of your hard work,you will be in the gym every chance you get working out harder than ever.
Kwillsucceed10
Kwillsucceed10
United States
2017/03/22, 01:28 PM
Thank you!
SouthernHeart
SouthernHeart
United States
2017/04/25, 12:19 PM
Heyyy :) I am with you as far as feeling uncomfortable around so many fit people. You can try and pull motivation from them. Or maybe some other options are a 24 hour gym where you can go late at night or extra early when it may not be as busy. Another idea is you may do the at home workouts until you get more confident. That is kind of where I'm at. I am going to try my hardest to do what I can from home, then hopefully get a membership somewhere and keep it up. I feel you though girl. Just remember you're not alone. I'm here if I can help.
MJK86
MJK86
Norway
2017/05/12, 04:57 AM
I was told here in Norway people don't judge the obviously not fit people in the gym. They are in a gym after all trying to do something about it and are more impressed with them actually going (since they do understand it is very confronting). 
Not sure if this is true, but I like to believe it is. I have found myself sticking to that thought whenever I see all the fit people around me. So keep doing the good work!!
SunshyneGirl
SunshyneGirl
United States
2017/05/27, 02:27 AM
I know this was posted awhile ago but thought I would comment! When I first started lifting I would literally flex my arm and people wouldn't believe I was flexing cause there was literally no muscle there... I was using 5lb weights and struggling with doing a curl. I swear everyone was making fun of me. Truth was, they werent. Everyone has to start somewhere! If I didn't pick up those little 5 lbers I wouldn't be where I am today. In order to progress you must first start 💪 Train your mind to focus on your goals when you are at the gym, not every body else. You are there for YOU, not anybody else.
2017/08/14, 11:06 AM
SunshyneGirl
I know this was posted awhile ago but thought I would comment! When I first started lifting I would literally flex my arm and people wouldn't believe I was flexing cause there was literally no muscle there... I was using 5lb weights and struggling with doing a curl. I swear everyone was making fun of me. Truth was, they werent. Everyone has to start somewhere! If I didn't pick up those little 5 lbers I wouldn't be where I am today. In order to progress you must first start 💪 Train your mind to focus on your goals when you are at the gym, not every body else. You are there for YOU, not anybody else.

---I agree 100 with @SunshyneGirl. Everyone was once a beginner. It's your workout. You do you! Truth be told, the only people in the gym that truley care if someone is looking at them IS the "fit" people. Especially the chemically enhanced ones.