Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Hypermobility and Scoliosis

Acasey1
Acasey1
United Kingdom
2015/11/02, 05:38 AM (Edited: Acasey1 - 2015/11/02, 05:39 AM)
Hi all, I'm new here and to be honest new to the gym!
In the last two years or so I've put on a significant amount of weight, after being incredibly active as a teen, going to uni saw me take a bit of a hit to my health.
I'm trying to lose about 3 stone, and have been told that weight training, with free weights, is a good way to do this due to its upping the metabolism. I'm trying to maintain a healthy diet, cutting down on booze, but I don't actually know what ot do when it comes to the gym! The guy I asked at the gym the other day on the front desk was supremely unhelpful so does anyone have any suggestions for how best to work out, get fit and lose weight for someone who has hypermobile joints?
To anyone who isn't familiar, scoliosis is a curvature of the spine, and mine is only very slight, but results in quite a lot of back pain. Physios have recommended strengthening my core, and muscles around knees, shoulders and other joints. I'm not good with high impact exercise so have to stay off treadmills, and struggle benchpressing due to my hypermobility in my shoulders. Any help appreciated!
Adam