Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

New... Have questions

darcbot3000
darcbot3000
United States
2013/10/21, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone. I am new on this site and it seems like a great resource as I have no clue what I am doing in the gym. I used to be very much in shape from my dancing career, but since I quit... well obviously that has changed.

I joined a gym so I did the Gym workout.  Looking through the days.... it looks like I am doing a lot of the same excercises everyday. Everyday it offers the same ab workouts... but then something different for other types of strength training... is it going to stay like this forever? or will it change up eventually? 

Also... should i be doing cardio at other times?? please advise.
Mr_Geezer
Mr_Geezer
United States
2013/10/21, 03:05 PM
See your other similar question. As to cardiac work. A lot of people will argue with me on this but between dance, treadmill and high rep periods, I may do some daily. Your body is built to chase things to eat and run from things that want to eat you. Simplistic example but it's true.

I mentioned timed workouts in the other answer. 45 minutes of strength training and 45 minutes of cardiac work meets my needs. I'm 60. You may want more or you may do fine with less. The hard number I'd look at is 45 minutes of strength training. If you fine you need more than that, you aren't lifting heavy enough.

Experiment and discover. Again, it's a marathon, not a sprint if you adopt this lifestyle.
Seireness
Seireness
United States
2013/11/12, 01:29 AM
Also new to the site. Is there any way to customize my work out schedule. As in finding and selecting the exercises I want to do and adding them to the work out roster. I don't like the idea of just skipping the ones I can't do, I'd like to remove them and put something in its place that I can do that targets the same or similar areas. Does this site offer that option at all?
Mr_Geezer
Mr_Geezer
United States
2013/11/12, 10:37 AM
There is a way to swap exercises. I don't know how but there is a way. I use my word pad to write out between 7 and 9 days of workouts. More on why in a minute. By writing out the exercises by day on word pad, you can cut and paste a given day in your flog. As to why 7 to 9 days....Muscle does not grow during a hard work out. When you do a challenging workout, you basically shread and damage muscle fiber. It takes about 7 days of rest for the muscle to repair and grow. In other words, the muscle actually grows during rest.

Knowing that I set up my days to allow 7 days rest between working body parts. So I do arms on Monday and then again 7 days later. I'm old so I allow a little more growth time by using a 9 day cycle.

To see all the workouts for various body parts or areas, there is an exercise section that you can actually click on a muscle group and the exercise options will pop up. Use the sight generated plan to build your word pad plan. Then you can swap exercises for a part that fits your equipment. I think the sight's exercise plans are klunky in the form they have them but you can still take the recommendations and change a movement as well as add or delete movements as you like.

I encourage the use of the flogs here. You can keep a good record as well as give and receive support with the regulars who post there.

I read another post where you mentioned having difficulty doing certain exercises and you said you were overweight. My suggestion is to do the exercises you can and walk. My wife and I get in a brisk uphill treadmill walk every day. That's the best way to start shrinking. As you progress, some exercises will get easier.

Last but most important, you have to do your homework and learn to eat properly. Reduce oreliminate processed fod and sodas. Reduce sugar. Eat whole low fat foods. Learn the difference in a complex carb and a simple carb. This effort is best accomplished by making this a lifestyle and lifelong learning process. Try to find activities you like. You are more likely to continue if you enjoy it. Be kindd to yourself and remember you didn't get overweight in a short time. It's okay to take time to reverse it. If you are extremely overweight , 3 or 4 pounds a week can be lost with good diet and exercise. BUT, your body will hit a point after you've lost the easy stuff it will be able to drop no more than 2 pounds a week safely.

Toss your scales. Your pants are the best way to measure progress.
Seireness
Seireness
United States
2013/11/13, 02:13 AM
1. I do use my flog. You have commented on it.
2. I walk everyday and am doing the work outs I can do. I also do some of the stretches through out my work day when possible.
3. I am aware that a lot of what I eat or have been eating isn't what is ideal. As I've explained in my flogs. Having an extreemly low food budget makes it difficult to purchase healthier foods. I do try to find the healthiest option for the lowest price but that is what I have to do for now. Losing weight but being homless wont do me any good. I have to work with what I have.  I have replaced soda, which I don't drink often anyway, with green tea. 
4. I don't have a scale to throw away. Scales cost money lol.

Thanks for the feedback :) I still would like to know how to do the customization of my work out with out using external programs, though if anyone knows.
Mr_Geezer
Mr_Geezer
United States
2013/11/13, 11:55 AM
I joined the sight in 2003. The old sight permitted changing exercises using a simple swap feature. That feature may or may not be active on the new sight. Sorry I just have no clue how to change a set workout. I don't even know how to record my workout with this new system.

I started the floger forum because it's hard to communicate through the flogs and it's easy to miss a post or question with the hundreds of forums that management has encouraged. If you join the floger forum, I won't miss any questions and if we can get a crowd, the more the merrier and the more experience there will be to draw from.

My wife and I are organic gardeners. It is truly a shame that eating healthy is more expensive than eating garbage but it's true. Your second best choice in place of whole unprocessed foods is probably frozen.

As you continue to walk and do the exercises you can do, you'll find that you'll be able to add exercises that you have trouble with now.  Don't rely on just the workout from here combined with walking. Try new things. We took up yoga a year ago. We dance. You can get you tube dance and zumba instruction. Believe me, I understand physical limitations and running out of gas. It gets easier. At your age, it will get easier faster. Try to think "lifestyle" rather than  "I gotta lose weight". There is a huge difference in the two approaches.

I'm not sure any of the old timers here have conquered the workout customization. I just use them for guidelines. If I'm going to record a log, I can just do it in word pad, then cut and paste it here and add my numbers for the day. 

You might want to PM George or Adrian, the sight administrators.