Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Lean body, Fat belly - Best way forward?

bijur
bijur
India
2012/10/27, 10:22 AM (Edited: bijur - 2012/10/27, 10:24 AM)
Hi,

I got a lean body, but a fat belly. My waist has grown from about 32 inches to 37 over the past 2 years. Most probably because of my work schedule, very less physical activity and my diet. I do not exercise and I intend to start now. What exercises do I begin with? Is brisk walking alone for an hour enough to get fat off the belly? I do have access to a standard gym if that's necessary. My intent is only to loose fat in the belly and increase my fitness. Not here to build muscles. I know what needs to be done as far as the diet goes. Not clear on the exercises.

Kindly advice.

Thanks,
Bijur
2012/10/27, 10:57 AM
Here are a few things to consider. First, you can't spot reduce. Tha means targeting your belly alone won't make it smaller. The best thing for losing the belly to work on your diet. Walking will definitely help. A combination of strength training, diet and cardiac work is the best plan. You actually grow muscle for a few days after heavy lifting. Muscle burns fat merely by existing. Walking will burn fat. So you are using a combination of anaerobic exercise to burn fat and build muscle for a few days after you do it. The cardiac exercise burns fat as you do it.

Combine these with a cleaned up diet and you have the best circumstances to reshape your body.

A few more things. You are more likely succeed if you change your diet gradually. Try dropping processed foods. If it comes in a box or a bag, try not to eat it. Cut out sweets and soft drinks as much as possible. Find exercises that you enjoy. You are much more likely to stick with it if you like what you're doing . Variety is best. Your body will grow accustomed to a routine. Change it up. Keep your body guessing.

Finally, participate. Stop by the "did you exercise" forum each day and tell what you did. Encourage others and be encouraged.