Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Training after back surgery

casdav05
casdav05
United States
2012/07/01, 12:59 AM
I am new to this site.  I have a question about starting a program.  I had a lower lumbar microdiscectomy and laminectomy about a year ago.  Since that time, I've had good days and bad.  I am still weak through my core. Sometimes it feels like my torso is just "teeter tottering" on a small ball.  When I overdo it, I can be laid up in pain for a week or more before any relief, so I know I will need to start slow and be conscious of my back at all times.  I just have not been able to find any information on anybody in my situation. All I find is people having multiple back surgeries and constantly in pain.  My conclusion is that the vast majority, sucomb to the pain and do not change their lifestyle.  The doctor told me that I would never be the same.  I agree.  I intend on being better. Any input would be appreciated.
2012/07/01, 10:07 AM
Welcome casdav05. I'm afraid that's not an FT question. You should get your doctor to send you to a good physical therapist. You need that combination to safely recover. I don't doubt your determination nor that you can recover. The world is full of people that doctors underestimated. Doctors know the odds and statistics. But if that were all that counted, half the super bowl winners in history wouldn't have left with that trophy.