Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Muscle mass and proper diet?

Tegoa
Tegoa
South Africa
2012/06/18, 04:18 AM
Hi there, am new to the site and would like to find out from members what the appropriate training and diet for building musle mass.
I currently weigh 67kg, am 1.76cm tall. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as I'd to have a weekly training routine.
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/19, 02:18 PM
So then your 5,9 and about 147lb question how big are you trying to get did you have a certain weight in mind or do you just want to look bigger. I myself have just started a diet & weight program to build mass am calling it 200lbs in 200 days am 6,2 and around 160lbs so I am really needing to put on weight not just so I will look better but feel better as well. The plan I have is simple lift heavy that is the best way to buil mass atleast 3-4 sets between 6-8 reps each if you can left more then that each set the weight is to light and if you cant do atleast 6 it is to heavy. As far as a diet is concerned that's up to you because everyone gains weight different for me if I eat alot I will loose weight so what I do is count calories and that is how I put on weight
2012/06/21, 11:03 AM
200 pounds in 200 days isn't possible no matter what you want to call it,

Getting bigger does generally involve a lifting routine that calls for higher weight and lower reps. GENERALLY. I say that because if you are a beginner, you need to learn proper lifting technique. That involves lower weight, higher weights and total concentration on form. If you don't perform each lift perfectly, it's easy to hurt yourself. I'd suggest starting our with a circuit routine for 6 to 8 weeks and relatively light weight. Nail down your for. There are decent pictures of proper form with each exercise on this sight but you can also find good videos on the web.

After the circuit, move through the gym routine doing beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. Once you are done there, try the mass exercise program. Do not start with the mass program until you have experience. The workout days are rigid. If you don't stick to the schedule, your gains wont be as good. Remember that you don't grow muscle while lifting. Muscle grows at rest so get plenty of it.

Most importantly, look to your died. You need about 1 to 1.5 grams of protein daily to build and maintain muscle. It sounds like gaining weight may be difficult for you so eat like a hog. Only eat cleanly. You need lots of complex carbohydrates, lean protein and a bit of healthy fat. You must educate yourself on proper diet. Look in the nutrition forum and find "grocery list for healthy eating" . Try to adhere to that type of food as much as possible. Try to eliminate sodas, sugar and processed food. If it comes in a box or a bag, it's generally a good idea to avoid it. If it has an expiration date two years from now, you're better off eating the package.

Good luck and welcome.
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/22, 11:17 AM
Lol I hear you  Charlie and thanks for the advise, but do have more questions first one is I have tried eating alot and it was like it caused a reaction in my body and my metabolism went into overdrive and I lost weight. I did find however that when I counted my calories by eating about 3000 - 4000 a day eggs mixed with oj,high calorie meals, and snacks that come in a wrapper lol I was able to start putting on weight. So my question to you is should I continue with that or do as you say stay away from all processed foods and eat only nature food , and is counting calories a good way to go.
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/22, 11:29 AM
My metabolism is out of this world the genetics on my mother and fathers side of the familly dont gain weight and I have both in me the only male in my familly that does all four of my sisters do. My mother had nine children and still has the frame of a model one of my older sisters is in her late 30's has two daughters has not did a sit up in her adult life but has a washboard stomach because weight runs from us we are naturally thin and cut so gaining bulk is a little harder for me.
billymets71
billymets71
United States
2012/06/22, 11:56 AM
I guess it was a good thing that I googled fitness program today and found this site!

I'm 41. I am 5' 10' and weigh 142. I joined a gym about a month ago and had my "free" training session offered. The only way i see to get a program is to hire their PT. But it's a huge gym for 20 a month, free classes, etc.I've been to gyms for short spurts over the last 20 years. I get bored and I'm active. But i guess as you get older, you need to be in better shape to keep doing what you liked to do when you are younger.

I haven't been on a regular program for about 5 years, so my question is do I follow "New to the gym" or "circuits". New to the gym seems pretty basic, but I don't want to overbite and choke.
2012/06/22, 10:26 PM
billymets71, hopefully you are in it for the long haul. If you are, it doesn't matter what you start with. You'll have time to try every single routine. If you haven't worked out for a while, I'd do a month and a half or two months of circuits and then move on to the next plan. Circuits are all over training and you can perfect your form before you move to the next level.
2012/06/22, 10:47 PM
Physique, definitely count calories until you have a really good grasp of your caloric intake. It is impossible to gain nothing but muscle. Body./size building is a matter of packing on muscle as well as some fat, not necessarily lots of fat but a bit. Then you clean up your diet and burn off the fat. It's a kind of controlled cycle. I do not eat processed foods except in a pinch and that is rare. We plan meals and grow organic food but that's not possible for everyone.

I'd suggest that if you are eating 4000 calories a day and not gaining, add 250 calories a day for two weeks. If you still aren't gaining, increase by another 250 calories. Keep upping your intake until you start seeing gains.  Make sure that you get 1.5 grams of protein per day per pound of body weight. Try to eat healthy fats like fish, nuts in moderation. Natural peanut butter is a regular part of my diet as are walnuts. Walnuts have the highest protein count of the nuts I like.

You have to do your homework and learn to eat properly. Whey protein supplements may help. Try to find one that is low in fat and low in overall calories. Buy a calorie counting book and use it. Eat 5 or 6 meals a day. Graze bro.

I mix a protein shake with whey [20g protein, skim milk egg whites and I add some unsweetened cocoa for antioxidents. It winds up being about 120 calories. You could do a couple of those a day if necessary and use whole milk. I don't think you can absorb much more than 35 g of protein in one shot. You just pee it away. Eat a bowl of cottage cheese near bedtime. It's a slow release protein.

You may not see it this way but you are lucky. Most people have to count calories in order to limit growth. Eat big, lift heavy, be careful. You'll get as big as your body will allow.
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/23, 10:20 PM
thanks for the info Charlie very usefull stuff I definitely will use the info you gave me and 4000 calories although will  be alot of calories to maintain is a great start thanks for the help buddy.
2012/06/23, 11:00 PM
Welcome P. Now go eat something :~)
billymets71
billymets71
United States
2012/06/27, 11:44 AM
Thanks Charlie. I have been following the gym routine on here. It's only been since the 22nd, but I love it. I'm at the age where it's time.

Diet is another issue entirely. I am a chef so eating healthy (low fat, lots of greens, water) was what people always wanted. I am finding it very challenging to find stuff to make that puts on the right fat, carbs, loaded with protein. The other issue is the snacks during the day. I love nuts, but are pretty expensive (besides peanuts). I've looked at recipes for making my own protein bars, but even to get the ingredients is pricey. I also have a wife who wants to lose about 20 lbs. She goes to the gym and does weightwatchers online. All their recipes are fillers! I'm looking at True Mass as a supplement but it's $40 for 18 servings...the problem is I don't have the experience to go into GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and get the best bang for the buck. They are usually pushing there own supplements. Any ideas?
2012/06/27, 01:39 PM
Billy, first off, this is a good general dietary guide:

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=3&t_ix=2564

Look for a protein supplement that has close to 30 grams of protein. My supplement is about 140 calories. I think those are the two most important numbers although the others do matter. I think mine has 2 grams of fat. This would be counted as a meal and used immediately post workout. I add skim milk and egg white to my shake and that lets me use only half the protein powder.

Snacks take research. Learn which carbs are complex and which are simple. A complex carb is better. You actually burn more calories digesting a complex carb than a simple.

Mainly avoid sugar, processed food and sodas. I prefer to be a little slack on my diet and work out more. You need to get a calorie counting book and use it until you are familiar with what you eat. Portion control is critical. A portion is usually about the size of the palm of your hand.

Be careful with store bought protein bars. They usually have a ton of empty calories. Count the calories if you eat your own. I grow and eat lots of vegetables but I eat a good portion of lean meat fish and bird too.

To me, the best nut is the walnut. It has good protein content compared to others but with any nut, about 20 is the most you want to eat. My guilty pleasure is unsweetened peanut butter on  saltines.  Don't drain the oil. The oil is about the only good thing in peanut butter. Hopefully this is a place to start.
billymets71
billymets71
United States
2012/07/06, 02:46 PM (Edited: billymets71 - 2012/07/06, 02:49 PM)
Thanks again Charlie,

I find the working out is so much easier than the diet. I printed out the shopping list you attached. We go shopping on weekends so I'll refer to it often. The gym I belong to has a great counter. It keeps track of carbs, protein, cholesterol, vitamins mineral, fiber, etc. You probably get the idea.

Right now i need some feedback on supplements. I cruised the supplement group but everyone wants to lose weight. A couple of guys at the gym said True Mass, but 50 bucks for 18 servings is troo steep for me. I am going to dig deeper, but i was wondering what exactly you are/were using. I don't eat processed food..just lots of fruits and veggies. Now that i am trying to get carbs/protein packed in the sodium kills me along with saturated fat. Cottage cheese has allot of salt. Deli meat is bad! Didn't know that before. I guess I have to buy chicken/turkey breat and beef to cook myslef.

Thanks alot, bro, You've been a big help.
2012/07/06, 03:56 PM
Anytime Billy. FWIW, my supplements consist of a post work out whey protein shake made up of a scoop of protein , 1 cup skim milk, 1/3 cup egg white and a tbsp of unsewwtened cocoa for antioxidants. I take fish oil per doctor's orders and a calciun, magnesium zinc tab to help prevent cramps. Keep is simploe bro.
2012/07/07, 12:19 AM
Billy, I did not go back and refresh my memory of your original post. I forgot you are trying to gain weight and are a hard gainer. Use whole milk in the shake. Wish I could. If you like the flavor toss in some peanut butter and or a banana. If you don't want them in the shake, eat them separately. Man, you can eat peanut butter crackers. That's a once a week treat for me.

If you are being faithful to your workout and making strength gains, eat a garbage can pizza now and then. That's a pizza with everything but the kitchen sink. When we eat a cheat meal, it's pizza. We use provelone cheese. We drain all the grease out of the meat. We use garden veggies from the back yard. It's a pretty healthy cheat.

Keep your protein intake high. If you find yourself adding too much fat you may need to adjust but you have no idea how many people would kill to be hard gainers.

It's good that you can't afford crap like true mass. You can be creative and accomplish the same results using whole food. Be sure that you eat a serving of cottage cheese at bed time. It's the perfect slow release protein.