Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Chins between chairs, proper form?

nunyo
nunyo
United States
2003/01/22, 08:13 AM
My doctor has asked me to lose 24 pounds by 2004, I'm trying to do it by August. I don't currently have access to weights, so I've started the home workout routine described on this site. On of the exercises in that workout is "Chins between Chairs". I'm all but positive that I am doing this wrong. Perhaps I have long forearms but when I do this the bar feels too low. I think that I am following the description fairly well. Also the description says to keep your body straight, but in the picture it appears that, when pulled up to the bar, the man is bending at the waist. Which is it? It is VERY dificult for me to do this more than one time without bending at the waist. Is there a less confusing alternative to this exercise that works the same muscle groups? I'd even be willing to put a chin up bar in my garage if that were necessary. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tony

FYI, follow this link to see the description of chins between chairs.

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/ExerciseDescription.jsp?e_name=Chins_Between_Chairs
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2003/01/22, 06:35 PM
This exercise is a little tricky.. you would be better off to put a chinning bar in your garage as u suggested. If they are too difficult to perform, place your feet on a chair below and aid yourself enough to perform the reps.

Good Luck!

--------------
.o0 Arnold 0o...o0 theaustrianoak@hotmail.com 0o.
nunyo
nunyo
United States
2003/01/23, 07:56 AM
Should I do overhand chin-ups to replace the chins between chairs exercise? It seems as though I'd end up targeting different muscles since I'm changing the direction of tension by pulling up vertically rather than horizontally (I think that makes sense). If the chins between chairs exercise intentionally targets specific muscles that I'd not be able to target with a normal chin-up bar, then I'd be willing to learn the proper form, even if it is tricky.

Arnold, thanks for your response. Could someone describe the proper form for the chins between chairs exercise?
bubaxp
bubaxp
Denmark
2007/02/12, 07:06 AM
how do you do the chins between chair?
NikkiPrewitt
NikkiPrewitt
United States
2007/05/07, 02:35 PM
How is the chin between chairs exercise done?
megan.m
megan.m
United States
2007/11/18, 10:06 PM
How is the chin between chairs exercise done?
debee333
debee333
United States
2010/05/04, 08:44 AM
This is the correct way to do this exercise, i suggest checking to make sure your home-owners insurance is up to date before putting a broom stick on the back of two chairs and pushing up and down on it.

6) Chair Chins (Face the backs of 2 chairs towards each other with a small towel draped over the back
of each chair. Place a broomstick across both chair backs on each towel. Lie on ground between