Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Whey Protein

J_Cat
J_Cat
United States
2012/03/28, 09:31 PM
I was trying to find a topic on this website that had to do with whey protein, all I managed to locate was a recommendation to have a protein shake post-workout. 

I was wondering whether someone could give recommendations for brands, recipes, etc for protein shakes or powders that they have tried. Previously I have tasted pre-made shakes and the powder tasted starchy. 
I'm also not sure whether it matters or not, but I am female with a slim build and I'm not looking to really lose or put on weight, but more so to lead an active and healthier lifestyle. It makes total sense to my why protein shakes could be useful after a workout, but I know there's so much out there, I could really use the help!

Thank you!
2012/03/28, 11:04 PM
Whey should be at least 30 grams per serving and no more than 150 calories overall. Mine has 1.5 gram of fat. I can live with it. I found a tasty powder at Walmart that met this criteria mostly. 30 grams, 170 calories, 2.5 grams of fat.

I found my current powder at GNC and it's 130 calories, 30 grams of  protein and 1.5 grams of fat. The thirty grams of protein is important. You need to be aware that some have more sugar than others.

My shake is 1/2 scoop [15 grams protein, 1/3 cup egg whites , 12 grams protein  1 cup skim milk, 8 grams protein, a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa for antioxidents and a shot of , gasp, Splenda. I zap it with a few ice cubes and my creatine and it's very tasty. My whey powder is chocolate flavor.

I have read that mixing whey powder with water only is absorbed faster and more beneficial but I don't care. I'm old and grouchy and I want it to taste good.
J_Cat
J_Cat
United States
2012/03/29, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply!
I've also heard about casein protein as opposed to whey. Is there a difference?
2012/03/29, 11:20 AM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/03/29, 11:27 AM)
Whey is absorbed more rapidly by your body. That's why I mentioned that creating a tasty high protein shake like I do may not be the very very best course. It's good enough for me.

I hope the search function returns to the sight soon. I remember voluminous and rowdy discussion on whey casien and soy protein supplements but I'm old and I forget now. I think the consensus among serious trainers is to use whey and water. I'm just not that serious. I seem to remember trying casien once and thinking it tasted nasty.

I only supplement protein once a day post workout with whey. I enjoy the challenge of trying to eat 250 to 300 grams of protein daily to meet my 215 pound need.

Lean beef, lean pork, fish, turkey, peas, bean,s lintels, sweet potato, shrimp, eggs, doesn't matter. I like the challenge. 

I think a whey shake post workout helps with recovery. Protein definitely helps with healing and growth. Unless you are training to compete don't get too hung up over it. Rest ,eat clean, do your cardiac, pick it up, put it down. KISS.
J_Cat
J_Cat
United States
2012/03/30, 12:59 PM (Edited: J_Cat - 2012/03/30, 01:08 PM)
So I looked up a little more information, and it seems that casein is recommended between meals (or as a meal replacement in some cases) and before bed. Whereas Whey is best after workouts, which makes sense since you said it's more rapidly absorbed.

I don't think I could stomach whey and water..especially since I can already taste it in mixed smoothies. I'm trying to figure out which purpose I need it for, post-workout or meal replacement. I know I definitely don't have enough protein in my diet, which is probably what accounts for all the cravings I have between meals. Maybe I should look at powder I can add into shakes with higher calories to keep me full longer?
Also, what is your view on sugar that comes from fruits? I understand it's different from added sugars, but should it still be treated like any carbs?
2012/03/30, 06:46 PM
Re sugar in fruits....all things in moderation.

When I read your second post, a cobweb popped in my brain. It is slow release but I thought it tasted nasty. It had a bite. I prefer and have just eaten cottage cheese as a late night protein.It, like casein is very slow release. I really like the taste of my whey. You may have to try a few but don't get too hung up. If you like the taste of a mixed up shake like mine, it's just fine unless you plan to compete or something. I find my mixed shale very filling and it's less than 100 calories total and about 35 to 40 grams of protein. Play with it. You'll work it out. My wife takes lean cold cuts, low fat cheese and rolls them up, dips them in mustard and chows down. We're pretty creative. I like just plain tuna fish out of the can, well drained but I only eat it once a week because the mercury thing bothers me.

Another trick for cravings is to graze. Eat 5 to 8 smaller meals per day and just reduce the calories. Hard to do sometimes but grazing is far and away the best way to eat. Also, eat very slowly.
2012/03/30, 07:01 PM
Tonight we had lintel soup/stew. 30 grams protein per cup. Had Kosher cold cut sandwitches that added another 20. It was 550 calories and minimal fat and it was mmmmm tasty.
2012/04/11, 02:16 AM
Hey guys,

Yup whey protien is absorbed fast while casein is slow release, casein is found in milk so if you have a shake with milk you are getting fast absorbtion and also a slow relesing protien and yes protien powder with water is "YUCK".

I use ON %100 protien powder it's 120 cals, 24g Protien, 1g sugar and 4g of Carbs and also has added vitamins. If you mix it with skim milk you get ya 30g protien hit.
2012/04/11, 02:19 AM
for the previous post ON stands for Optimum Nutrition
Cjoslin84
Cjoslin84
United States
2012/04/27, 11:57 AM
I use Pure Protien shakes (pre made) from Wal mart! They taste awesome!! 110 to 120 calories depending on flavor. 23 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar!!