Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

How often do you need to switch workout routine?

simone86
simone86
United States
2012/03/13, 09:58 PM
Just wondered, since I've heard several theories on it:  How often do you need to switch your workout routine up in order to keep from   plateauing? Also, how drastically does the change have to be?  I find myself plateauing relatively fast and I can't stand it.  I know that I could be eating better, but I am not feeling as satisfied with my workouts, as I have not been seeing the results I want.  Is it crucial to do cardio in am and pm in one day in order to get the full benefits of visual results? Anyone have some feedback for this...?
2012/03/13, 10:45 PM
I think all of the sight routines vary between 6,8 and 12 weeks. I follow that generally but if a routine bores me or doesn't challenge me I move on. How do you determine what constitutes a plateau? Is it weight? Strength? Stamina? It really depends on your goals and all three criteria I mention would have a different answer.

As far as the benefits of visual results, you wont like my answer but it's diet.

Lifting heavy builds muscle and muscle itself burns fat. I've seen women write here that they don't want big muscles and really that's not going to happen unless yoou are genetically gifted or cursed as the case may be.

Your profile says you want to drop 8 lbs and I think a soze.. Depending on the shape you are in , it's entirely possible to drop a size and maintain the same weight. Muscle takes up less space than fat so if you pack on 4 lbs of muscle and lose 4 lbs of fat, you could actually get smaller. Does that make sense?
simone86
simone86
United States
2012/03/13, 11:05 PM
Thanks Charlie, what you wrote totally makes sense.  As much as I hate to admit it, the diet is probably the biggest of my problems.  So yeah, I hate your answer but it is the truth.  I love lifting weights so I dont have any issue with that. I guess the next step is to get my body fat tested, which I have not done for quite a few years.  Then go from there staying kept up on diet, changing routines etc.  Thanks again for the knowledge!~
2012/03/13, 11:14 PM
Take heart. Remember Michael Phelps? He won about a hundred gold medals in the last summer Olympics. He talked about his training diet. First of all, Denny's, Waffle House and  IHOP were among his sponsors. Michael said he ate about 10 to 12 thousand calories a day and it consisted of eggs, hash brown potatoes, sausage, cheese burgers, pizza , cakes, cookies Doritos, chips, dip, hot dogs, key lime pie and Krispy Kreme doughnuts by the score. His abs showed. He said all you have to do is spend 8 hours a day in the pool. Who knows?
simone86
simone86
United States
2012/03/13, 11:21 PM
Hahah yeah hmm sounds like a good plan.  Maybe ill have to find a way to swim 8 hours a day and get paid for it....He must have programmed his metabolism to run laps (or swim laps).
2012/03/13, 11:28 PM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/03/13, 11:29 PM)
I do love swimming long distance but it's a 6 or 7 month a year deal here. We canoe and walk in the winter. We maintain a very large garden and are pretty much self sufficient on veggies. It's a lot of work. But I really have always enjoyed lifting and rarely skip lifting. I just like it.

Oh and I love your seahorse. Does he get along with the puppy?
simone86
simone86
United States
2012/03/13, 11:32 PM
Oh they love eachother!~
2012/03/13, 11:51 PM
My brother gave me this dog but I think something is wrong with it.

She barks funny.
simone86
simone86
United States
2012/03/14, 08:57 AM
hahah I always wanted a dog like that
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/09, 08:58 PM
I hear you Simone86 i hate that myself its like the pain of just starting and seeing the results feels great but when you dont feel it like you use to it can be discouraging