Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Question about mass and strength 12 week program

world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/12, 10:22 PM
So during the exercises, do I add weights after each set?
2012/03/12, 10:49 PM
1st set light
2nd set heavier
3rd set heavy enough that you can just finish it.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 11:36 AM
same thing with the 4th set, correct?

2012/03/13, 11:43 AM
Yeah, as a rule completing the last set should be very difficult. I haven't looked at the mass program in a while. It is very important to follow the workout days and rest days as strictly as possible. Muscle doesn't grow while working it. It grows at rest. Eating correctly is important as well. You can't pack on muscle without gaining a little fat. You can do a cut down routine after the two week rest period on the mass routine. This is an advanced workout. Be careful.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 12:02 PM
What is cut down routine? 
Can i do ab exercises followed by martial arts drills on the rest days?
2012/03/13, 12:28 PM
cut down = high rep lower weight and really strict diet as in cutting weight.

Ab routines are not included in the special mass program. You have to judge for yourself as to whether martial arts are a good idea but again, rest is a key component to building mass. As for your abs and especially your core, you will do so much dead lifting, squats and other compound movements that your abs will get plenty of attention.

I can't remember how much cardiac work is called for in the mass program but I would think that martial arts routines would work as a substitute.

Remember that you are doing this over the long haul. You may end up doing the mass routine many times. You may powerlift  and you may do cut routines. If this is just for general fitness it's not hyper important that everything you do is perfect. If you are a martial arts competitor, the mass routine may slow you down a bit while you're doing it.

You really need to fill out your profile, goals, age fitness level and experience. It makes it easier to help. Kind of shooting in the dark here. Oh yeah, welcome to Freetrainers.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 12:51 PM
Oh ok. Thanks and i just filled out the information.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 01:00 PM
Given your experience level and goals this may be a better choice:

http://www.freetrainers.com/exercise/workout/workout_ft1/

You may even benefit more from 6 or 8 weeks of a circuit routine. At your age and with your metabolism, you need to lift heavy, eat big and clean and rest properly.

http://www.freetrainers.com/exercise/workout/workout_circuit/

The mass program is for more experienced lifters. If you hurt yourself, you'll just be set back until you heal. If you start and stop, your results will be minimal. If you decide to make a lifestyle change, you have plenty of time to do it all. Lifting lighter to start with while perfecting your form is crucial. That's why I suggested the circuit.  You need to study the pictures of the lifts and get them right. Lift slowly, with control. Breath out on the lift and in on the other side.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 03:30 PM
Ok thank you! I think the first one is a better work out for me.
So can i do combat training on rest days? and should i have 2 days on and 1 day on or the other one?
2012/03/13, 03:32 PM
Go for it pardner.  be sure that you change up every 6 to 8 weeks. Keep your body guessing what you're going to do next.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 03:34 PM
How many months should i be doing the gym work out program for?
2012/03/13, 03:43 PM
I think each workout says how long. But now that you've asked so many questions, you're in the club and you'll have to do this for the rest of your life. Just take a few days off every 6 to 8 weeks. Be sure you have a couple of light days each week.. At your age though if you eat and rest properly you're gonna be in great shape. Stick to it. Keep asking questions.  There was a kid here named Wrestler who was your size and he got about as strong as I can imagine.

You may enjoy the power lifting forum but lurk for a while. Those guys are pretty serious.
world_uniter
world_uniter
United States
2012/03/13, 03:47 PM
Ahh ok thank you for inspiration, motivation and tips!
2012/03/13, 04:03 PM
One more thing you may find helpful is to look at flogs. There are a few people who still keep them. I still enjoy reading what people do.