Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

P90X

CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/15, 07:37 AM
Anybody use P90X?  Is it work out DVDs?  I hear it mentioned a lot and I am looking for a new home workout (something to mix it up), but I was curious if anyone has used this?  What's it like and do you need to buy additional equipment to use it?  Good for different levels of training (me-beginner/intermediate...husband- advanced)?  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
2012/02/15, 10:24 AM
I saw$59+$39+$39 basically for DVDs. It looks like they sell supplements. First, anything that throws variation in to your training routine is good. Keeping your body guessing what you'll do next is the best approach. That being said it looks expensive to me. You need to Google up some reviews. Tim Day on our sight uses a very inexpensive kettleball and body weight to train and he is anoak as well as sceritfied trainer.

Another thing is that there is lots of free information, routines and advice here and elsewhere on the internet. I bought a $200 Canoe and a top of the line treadmill and a set of dumbbells from 5 to 50 pounds in pairs and 5 pound increments for a hundred bucks on Craigslist for $300 and I have used them for years. I think you can find tons of $5 woorkout DVDs in the bargain stores. I'm wary of supplement companies and prefer to buy them at a walk in store where I can read the label and decide for myself if the clerk is knowledgable. Also see if you can figure out if this company will constantlt try to sell you more.

If you have a WII machine their older active games can be found really cheap. Do your homework. If the reviews are good and their sight gives you enough explanation as to what you are buying  and may have to buy and it meets your budget it may be a good thing. I'm also wary of money back guararntees.

My hundred dollar dumbbells combined with the FT full body workout is a good challenge. Augmentation with the canoe, walking and swimming is good variation. I think I reemember that you'e in Canada so with your two week summer, a canoe may not be the best choice. Hope this helps.
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/15, 11:12 AM
I'm actually in Maryland. And I have a canoe and kayaks...although I wont be using them again till the weather breaks. I do have a Wii and I use the zumba often, also have an in home gym with treadmill, spin bike, dumbells, bench, etc. Just looking for a different type of in home routine. Seems I'm always treadmilling, spinning and doing a dumbell routine. It's getting monotonous. Yes, I can challenge myself within this, just want something different.
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/15, 11:17 AM
I typically spend a lot of time outdoors so its probably just winter cabin fever. Thanks, and you said what I was thinking. Expensive DVD workout that will probably end up in the closet next to billy blanks and the 10+ other workout DVD I have. :-)
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/02/15, 11:47 AM (Edited: kolhy - 2012/02/15, 11:48 AM)
As always, great response Charlie :)

I rather keep my $$ in my pocket unless absolutely sure I'll obtain a worthwhile benefit.

For someone that needs direction it *may* be worth it....BUT, to be worthwhile, it'll require this person to be motivated to actually use it.

CRNP, take a look at www.meetup.com and search your area. There are sure to be outdoor/fitness groups available near you. This can add variety to your fitness regimen and the social aspect can make it more fun for you. I've even seen some baby and mom fitness/yoga groups as well.

Good luck!
2012/02/16, 11:41 AM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/02/16, 11:41 AM)
CRNP
I'm actually in Maryland. And I have a canoe and kayaks...although I wont be using them again till the weather breaks. I do have a Wii and I use the zumba often, also have an in home gym with treadmill, spin bike, dumbells, bench, etc. Just looking for a different type of in home routine. Seems I'm always treadmilling, spinning and doing a dumbell routine. It's getting monotonous. Yes, I can challenge myself within this, just want something different.

---Sorry CRNP I have trouble with international borders. Also my edit button doesn't work. The treadmill was $300, the weights were $100.
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/17, 10:21 PM
CRNP-
   I don't have direct experience with the P90X.  It's way beyond my fitness level right now.  One of the things you have to understand about most all of Tony Horton's programs, is that if you don't do it regularly, and you don't have a pretty aggressive diet along with it, you won't see the results he advertises.

What Charlie says is true, you can find most of this stuff on the internet or in books, but you have to dig for it.  The nice thing about P90X is that it puts everything into a nice accessible package, but you do pay for it.  P90X is an excellent general fitness training package.  It does use muscle confusion as one of its main approaches, which is also something Charlie mentions.  Its a proven approach and it works.  Don't let your body get into a groove.  Always keep it adjusting.  That's one thing the P90X does.  One of the things X also focuses on is plyometrics, or jumping exercises.  This is an amazing facet of fitness training that forces your muscles to produce bursts of power.  This has great impact on speed and reaction.  It really trains up the Central Nervous System and builds compact, powerful muscle.  Something else Mr. Horton is big on is yoga and flexibility training.  The thing he does is kick it up a few notches so that you're also doing a light muscle workout and cardio workout along with the flexibility training.  This is not the stuff you'll find at your local yoga salon, but flexibility is an important aspect of overall fitness.  If you're a power lifter, don't take up the X program.  If you're really looking to challenge your cardio and get great all around fitness at home, pick up the X.  It looks like a real killer, and that's why I haven't gotten it yet.  I do have the regular P90, and with simple hand weights or bands, and a chair, you can get some great results but you have to stick to the program and you have to follow a diet along with it.

Again, I don't have it, but I've seen it, and I've read about it from objective articles.  It's good, but it's expensive, and it's not a miracle.  Anyone can build something similar given time, patience, and a Library with an internet connection.

Good luck!
-Herald
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/17, 10:24 PM
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention...there isn't really a set program to follow in many ways with P90X with would lend itself well to your desire for keeping things fresh.  Pretty much every disc in that program is a challenge, and they are all designed to more or less stand as a module on its own.  Its up to you how you choose to mix and match the pieces.  Yes, they do include an introductory method, but then they take you  "off the rails" and let you do whatever you choose...as intense or as varied as you want to get.

Hope it helps!
-Herald