Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Itchy Rash after exercising

moniquedurant
moniquedurant
South Africa
2012/02/13, 12:00 AM
Hi, I go to gym in the mornings before work, and sometimes i get this Itchy Rash about an hour/hour and half after exercising... The rash is usually all over my arms and in my face! It turns red, it itches alot and it feels very hot as well... Just wondered if this is something to worry about? And how can I control it?
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/14, 11:10 AM
Hi.  What you describe sounds like a contact dermatitis, meaning something your skin is coming in contact with is causing it.  Try to wash all lotions and makeup off before working out, sometimes when we sweat it can activate the perfumes and other chemicals in products and cause a reaction.  Also make sure you are using a fresh laundered towel of your own (not the gyms)  Use it to wipe sweat as you exercise and avoid rubbing your face with your bare hands (especially after using gym equipment).  Also look at the soaps and things you are using post-workout.  Perfumes and chemicals can be absorbed from the soap post workout as the body cools itself down and rehydrates itself. If none of this helps, you can consider the foods you eat around working out- although this is not likely due to the nature of what you are describing.
moniquedurant
moniquedurant
South Africa
2012/02/15, 07:00 AM
Thank you for your post! I will definitely look out to what I use on my skin etc... I was just worried that it could have something to do with blood pressure or other more serious complications.
moniquedurant
moniquedurant
South Africa
2012/02/15, 07:01 AM
Thank you for your post! I will definitely look out to what I use on my skin etc... I was just worried that it could have something to do with blood pressure or other more serious complications.
DazJazz
DazJazz
United Kingdom
2012/04/20, 02:43 AM
Hi, hopefully you'll see this but the problem I think you have is 'Cholinergic Urticaria'. The main problem being the urticaria (also known as hives in America)
I've had it since I was about 14 but it's starting to die off now.
Basically its your body over reacting to a change in environment, In this case you are getting quite hot and sweaty, so it stimulates your histamine cells to swell with blood, which gives the red appearance. It also will start to itch due to the burning sensation.
The good news is its a really manageable thing if it's occurring regularly. My doctor advised mento use washing and toiletry products with less 'agents' in them. So just plain soap and fragrance free shower gels/shampoos but that didnt work, he also mentioned it may be stress induced and therefore temporary.
But if it's more of a regular thing for you I'd a) go see your doctor so he can diagnose it officially and b) buy some antihistamines and see which if any work for you. They are known treatments for this disorder. I've been given loratdine in the past but although it's non drowsy I find that it doesn't work for me and that cetiruzine hydrochloride is a much better solution. Look out for them in your local pharmacy or supermarket. Try should have them as it's the same treatment for hayfever