Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

What should I do?

Robo51
Robo51
United States
2012/01/18, 09:16 PM
I am currently 19 almost 20 and I weigh 135 pounds at 6`1.

I recently decided to change and gain more weight but I'm a little confused as the best way to go about it.

I do have a set of free weights and a bench at home.

Can someone suggest the best way to gain muscle mass?
2012/01/18, 09:43 PM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/01/18, 09:54 PM)
Robo51
I am currently 19 almost 20 and I weigh 135 pounds at 6`1.

I recently decided to change and gain more weight but I'm a little confused as the best way to go about it.

I do have a set of free weights and a bench at home.

Can someone suggest the best way to gain muscle mass?

---I don't want to over simplify. but eat alot and eat cleanly. That means as little processed foods as possible. Graze, which means eat frequent meals, 6 or 7 meals a day. Eat a lot of protein. Lift heavy. You can find good workouts for putting on muscle in the exercise section. Isolation exercises like curling and bench press aren't the best to get bigger and stronger. You want to do squats, lunges, deadlifts and movements that work your whole body. Nothing wrong with isolation movements, you just need to do the exercises that work your whole body more often.

Eating requires educating yourself as to what's good and bad food. Look in the nutrition section and find the grocery list topics. They will help you. Welcome here and good luck, Skinny and 19 isn't unusual or incurable. You can join our challenge group and find some support.
Robo51
Robo51
United States
2012/01/19, 06:24 PM
Thank you very much for the information you provided, I appreciate it very much.

You mentioned movements that work your whole body as a key point.

I'm hoping that you could point me in the right direction of a good routine that would help me the most.
2012/01/19, 07:49 PM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/01/19, 08:01 PM)
start here:

http://www.freetrainers.com/exercise/muscles/ Look at exercises that work the back, butt nd legs. You can't find many exercises that incorporate those body parts and free weights that don't involve most of your body. In other words, a deadlift works your back, butt, arms and legs.

A curl involves lower arms and biceps. Make sense?

Then look at this:

http://www.freetrainers.com/exercise/workout/workout_mass/

This is the mass building workout. You have to eat and rest properly in addition to the workouts.I mentioned a few exercises that involve the whole body. You have to do your homework. Learn what each lift is and how to do them in proper form. It's also important to practice your form on lighter weights before moving to heavier weight. You can hurt yourself if you don't read and understand how and why the workout works. The mass workout plan is advanced. You need to learn thev difference in whole body exercises and isolation exercises. Use the resources. It takes time but this is a lifestyle and a long term decision you've made. You wont pack on the muscle overnight but at your age you can get strong pretty quickly.