Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Newbie seeking advice weight loss topic.

carbuff4
carbuff4
Canada
2011/05/17, 02:43 PM
Hello fellow members, male 40 yr old. 40 lbs over what I should be. I?ve joined a local gym, started out very slow, 30-45 minutes on the treadmill every second day (3.5MPH 30% incline), add in 10-15 minutes of recumbent cycling as well but I fear this routine will become stale quickly and not provide any benefits. Should I toss in some weight machines as well, longer on the treadmill, more on the bike? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I am quite new to the fitness game but would really like to do something that will assist me losing 2-3 lbs per week if possible. One final question, should I rotate the speed, incline on the treadmill or is it better to maintain a consistent seed throughout.

Thanks.

DGJ3
DGJ3
United States
2011/05/22, 05:37 AM
It looks like you're off to the right start. How long have you been following this routine for? There's no best way to do cardio; I would suggest varying youre cardio workouts by doing 2 days of 30-45 min. low-moderate intensity, and maybe 1 day of high intensity for 15 mins. Adding in some weight training and functional bodyweight exercises would be very beneficial. You could do this on your non-cardio days. An example would be: Mon-30-45 min. cardio, Tues-Wall squats, push-up, core circuit, Wed-15 min high intensity cardio, Thurs-off, Fri-Circuit(tues workout), Sat-30-45 min cardio, Sun-optional