Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Running and building mass

sjmike0414
sjmike0414
United States
2010/12/09, 07:04 PM
I want to build mass and am working out diligently and trying to get alot of protein and calories in my diet but I also run. will this counteract building mass?
travisdickey
travisdickey
United States
2011/01/22, 11:21 PM
To get bigger you'll need to eat more calories than you burn. Running just means you will be burning more calories per day. Running just means you'll probably have to eat a bit more.
powertotrain
powertotrain
United States
2011/01/23, 08:22 PM
It will mean that you need to eat a lot more to replace the calories you burn while running. Also, there are major differences in the effect each type of exercise (running vs. lifting) has on your body.

When you lift anabolic hormones are released, like testosterone that trigger protein synthesis and ultimately muscle growth. Too much endurance training can actually reduce blood testosterone levels and therefore have a detrimental effect on your strength training goals. Also during endurance training the protein in your muscles can be broken down to use as energy. This is called catabolism and will undermine your attempts at gaining muscle mass.

Now with that said there is a difference between endurance training and just running a little. Some light jogging shoudn't counteract your training too much, but keep the time around 20 mins per workout at the most.

Just make sure that you are replacing the calories you are burning during your running workouts and don't do to much endurance exercise when you are trying to build muscle.

--------------
Scott Edson

My credentials: I have my masters in exercise science, worked in division I strength and conditioning, owned my own gym in suburban chicago, and now run a fitness website at

www.powertotrain.com