Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Question about how much and when to lift

strangenstein
strangenstein
United States
2010/05/17, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

I posted this in the new member area, but also wanted to post here and get your opinion.

I'm male, 45 and looking to lose about 40-50 pounds (putting me back around 200). I've changed my diet, cutting out "white" stuff and moving to whole grain. I also eat plenty of fruits and veggies every day.

My question pertains to my workout routine. I have been lifting/strength training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, working all muscle groups each time. However, after reading through this site, it seems as if I may have been working my muscles too much. Would I be better off weight training on Mondays and Thursday only, working all muscle groups just on those days? Would that give my body enough recovery time, or is that too much recovery time? I don't have time to just work a couple muscle groups on Monday, a couple more on Tuesday, etc. I need to get it all done each time.

By the way, I also walk on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, usually around 2-4 miles.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Mdenker6
Mdenker6
United States
2010/05/18, 12:18 PM
Is what your doing now working? If you are progressing every workout, and your recovery is good, why change things?
strangenstein
strangenstein
United States
2010/05/18, 01:07 PM
I don't seem to be losing any weight, which led me to believe I may be overdoing things. Speaking of losing weight, is it better to lift heavier weight with fewer reps, or lower weight with higher reps? I'm not necessarily interested in gaining huge muscle mass, mainly just losing fat and strengthening/increasing lean muscle.

Thanks for your help!
Mdenker6
Mdenker6
United States
2010/05/19, 02:55 PM
You need to take a look at your diet. What you eat should be what supports muscle mass and keeps you lean.