Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Isn't cardio pretty pointless?

daimenkain
daimenkain
United States
2010/04/23, 12:07 PM
Isn't cardio pretty pointless unless you don't want to build any muscle for some reason?

Here is my reasoning, so someone tell me where I might have it wrong. With cardio, you only burn calories while you're actually doing cardio. Once you stop jogging on the treadmill, for example, you stop burning calories.

However, when you do resistance training, you're not only upping your heart rate and burning calories, but you're also building muscle which burns even more calories. I've heard that if you put on 10 pounds of muscle, that usually translates to about an additional 3500 calories being burned per week even if you're just sitting there.

So, therefore, unless you're really worried about putting on muscle, isn't cardio completely pointless when you'd probably be better off just building muscle? I understand it's benefits for warming up and cooling down. Also, I do understand that if it is not a lifting day, cardio's a good idea.

So, if you're a 250lb flabby person trying to get into shape, shouldn't you skip cardio altogether and focus on putting on muscle?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/04/23, 12:25 PM
I suppose it depends upon ones goals.

Cardio will help speed up the fat/weight loss process. High Intensity Interval Training will continue to burn cals through the day and help raise the metabolism longer.

Sure, you can pack on the muscle, bulk up and be lean to the point of single digit bodyfat percentage, but try playing soccer, football or just climbing stairs. Cardio does more than burn calories, it helps you breathe better and contiue to do activities without getting winded.

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/04/23, 11:46 PM
Tim hit it right on with his last sentence. The purpose of cardiovascular exercise is just that, Builds your cardiovascular system.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
jadeworker
jadeworker
United States
2010/04/26, 09:53 PM
Tim is right cardio will help in the weight loss process. It helps with breathing properly and it helps aid the body's circulation which can really help while weight lifting and endurance. Also it helps keep the heart healthy and the lungs as well.