Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Healing - Distal Tendon Partial tear

tothemax
tothemax
United States
2010/04/07, 02:46 PM
Was just diagnosed with a Distal Tendon Partial Tear - Injury occurred 3 weeks ago. Stupidly did 55 lbs dumbbell curls. MRI confirmed a partial tear but the Dr. cannot tell how much it's torn. Tendon is still partially attached and I can see the bicep and tendon at the correct location.

One surgeon recommended immediate surgery to completely detach it and reattach it properly. he says it will not heal because it does not get blood flow and will never be as strong. He says the only way to properly fix to get full strength is to operate is now and re-attach it.

I got a second opinion and say another surgeon from a very well respected sports medicine surgeon. he is the team doctor for the USA Rugby team and sloe the Hurricanes professional soccer team. I really respect him and he has already fixed my torn knee from a previous injury. He says no need to operate right now. he says physio for 6 weeks and re-evaluate then. He says if it completely tears, we can always fix it when it tears but no need to do this now. He says it will partially heal over time and may heal to be almost as strong as my other arm. I have opted to wait six weeks and do physion.

My question are:

Has anybody experienced the same injury?

How much luck have you had in healing the partially torn tendon on it's own?

What can I do to help heal? Supplements? massage? treatments?

thank you for your help