Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Is there any point in me doing the abs..

RICH_TOFFEE_BAR
RICH_TOFFEE_BAR
United Kingdom
2010/03/28, 05:46 AM
workout specified in my program?

I have opted for a weight loss and tone program and am on week 5 - I love it!

I am seeing results with it so I am happy. My only issue is that I have a lot of fat situated around my abs area so would it not make more sense to do the ab exercises for a toned stomach after there has been a significant reduction of fat from that area? (I am following a healthy diet).

I do the 25 mins of cardio after the weights workout and the entire duration of my workout is approx 60 mins. The abs workout takes 15-20 mins on top. I thought 60 mins shouldn't be exceeded in a workout.

I do these workouts 4 times a week.

Your thoughts?

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/03/28, 03:41 PM
No It doesn't make sense to do the ab workout to reduce the fat around your tummy. Spot reduction is impossible through exercise.
You would have to adjust your diet to rid the extra fat. Keep up the good work.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Solmanson
Solmanson
United States
2010/04/09, 01:23 PM
I believe that anything more than an hour refers to Weight Training. Weight training for more than an hour IS counter-productive. But I never include abs or my interval training(cardio) in that timeframe.

And YES do your abdominal training as they provide support and stability as you're doing other exercises. Your abdominals are important whether you can see them or not. You'll see them just keep working them. I will say 20 minutes sounds like a long time to do ab work.