Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Insanity Workout Program

Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2010/02/28, 05:32 AM
Hey everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on the new DVD workout video from the same makers of P90X, called Insanity. The program host is Shaun T (he is also the one with hip-hop Abs). Anyhow, I've went through a few days in the program and noticed that I was sweating A LOT.

The program says it utilizes "Maximum Interval Training". When they explained what it meant, it did sound a lot like "High Intensity Interval Training" (HIIT).

Within this program they do a lot of cardio and plymetric exercises.

My main question are: (1) What is everyone's thoughts about this program; and (2) Is "Maximum Interval Training" really just HIIT?

As I've said, I used this for a few days already but I recently returned to training after a very serious leg injury that has caused me to have surgery on my tibia and fibula (lower leg). Due to the nature of the videos, there are a lot of jumping, skipping and high impact leg movements. Lately, I've been feeling some pain near the fracture area and I want to potentially replace the days I do the insanity program with something similar but without all the high impact jumping.

Everyone is more than welcome to address this.

Thanks.
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2010/02/28, 05:38 AM
Just wanted to add a note of what they explained is Maximum Interval Training.

Maximum Interval Training - "MAX interval training involves longer bursts of high-intensity exercises followed by smaller rests periods. Most interval training programs that have been done before had shorter high-intensity bursts with longer resting periods."

Therefore as opposed to conventional regular interval workouts where the body is expected to go high intensity for a short period of time followed by a prolonged time of low intensity, this method of training is expected to perform the opposite whereby there is a prolonged amount of high intensity time followed by small spikes of low intensity.

Does this sound a lot like HIIT?
deathbat53
deathbat53
United States
2010/03/03, 05:19 PM
it sounds like the converse of hiit
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2010/03/04, 03:19 PM
Well are there any supplements instead of using this program?
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2010/05/11, 07:54 PM
Insanity is something to try for yourself. If you determined to see results you may want to try it, -Its not just another whimpee work-out dvd. I use it for my off days when I dont run or xc ski. It kicks my but each and every time.....cant get enough of it. good luck'

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"