Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Is this the right approach?

froshman
froshman
United States
2009/11/27, 01:46 PM
i want to build up my muscles a bit but also want to lose the beer belly. I'm realtively thin aside from the flabby belly (skinny fat guy syndrome). I already work out a few time a week but I'm going to pick up the intensity.

I'm going to be in the gym pushing weight 5x a week, doing 30-45 min of cardio at least 3x. I will be placing a lot of emphasis on power lifts and free weights. I will be eating to feed my muscles (protein and whole carbs) but will also be eating clean (no cake or fries), which I already pretty much do.

My question is: will I be able to build some muscle (not become bulky, but add lean muscle) and burn the belly doing this? What can I expect in 2-3 months time?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/27, 03:44 PM
By what you wrote it looks good. The thing is to know your diet and eat right, don't over eat and like you said, "Eat Clean". and eat good snacks.

Everyone is different with weight lost, it is hard to pin point what you should expect. I went from 194 to 159 in 6 months and BF% went from 32 to 21 as of now. It could be much slower or faster for yourself. Medications if any make a difference, your thyroid whether it is normal, slow or fast makes a difference, so that is why it's hard to say.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
froshman
froshman
United States
2009/11/27, 05:44 PM
Thanks, Carivan.

Is it possible to ass some lean muscle while cutting fat? I always hear contrary remarks about it.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/27, 09:37 PM
I've done it twice. It's not impossible if you change your source of calories and do resistance training, why not?
There are a lot of myths out there.

BTW, nice typo!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

froshman
froshman
United States
2009/11/28, 11:55 AM
Cool, thanks Carivan.

Yeah, that typo adds a whole new meaning, doesn't it?

When you did it, were you really carb conscious or anything. I eat clean and ingest a good amount of protein, but I don't go extreme like cutting out carrots and fruits or grains. I figure if its natural, I'll eat it.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/28, 03:39 PM
With meals I try to eat more complex carbs, I eat whole grains, and fruit. That's the way I ate and continue to eat. Also added more fiber. And like you say if it's natural eat it, and let our stomach process it.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)