Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

gut and ex smoker.

defunk
defunk
Canada
2009/11/24, 11:03 AM
Ok, so I stopped smoking about 3 weeks ago. I have been weight training and have seen some nice gains on my upper body (arms, shoulders, etc). The problem is that I still have a gut. I have been reading that cardio is the best thing for me. I don't think I will be running 5K any time soon.

Should I start walking? or just do the walk run. I can run, I can feel my lung capacity getting better. I'm just wondering if jogging is the best way to get the gut off quick?

I hope that makes sense (I'm at work and a little rushed)

Thanks!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/24, 05:17 PM
Congratulations on starting to turn things around. Running and walking is known as intervals. Very beneficial form of cardio exercise. This will help improve calorie burn and oxygen intake but cutting out unhealthy fats and processed foods will get rid of your gut. Jogging alone will not remove the gut.
Here is an example of what I mean. I remember seeing the same person at the gym every time I went. This person was well in their 40's. They would do the treadmill and elliptical machine for at least 45 min each. The thing is, their endurance improved, but the shape of their body never changed. I used to see this person for at least a year at my gym. The point is, look at diet and what to eliminate.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
defunk
defunk
Canada
2009/11/24, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the reply carivan, I agree. I have cut out fastfood, breads, and pretty much everything that is bad for me. I am mainly on chicken/tuna and eggs. I have a cheat day. Should I do intervals in the morning as I have weight training 3 days a week and I also have my MMA class two days a week. I herd if you are doing weight training (and taking protein 1g per 1lb of body weight) that cardio will take that out and starve your muscles?
Davetheman26
Davetheman26
United States
2009/11/24, 11:07 PM
carivan is right and his story fitted me to a T 8 years ago but i didn't have the gut just fat all over my body so that muscle definition wasn't noticeable. And I ran every other day while I was in the army so the cardio wasn't the problem it was the food and probably mostly the heavy drinking on the weekends.
How long are your weight training sessions? And are you doing some sort of exercise everyday of the week? Sounds like you are. I think that much protein everyday is insane... I guess if you are stacked with muscle then maybe but that is a lot of food and money..
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/25, 03:58 PM
The protein is up to you. But I haven't used the stuff in years, even though I wasted my $$ on some last week because I had a craving for a smoothie and used once. I am not a beleiver in processed foods so I get my protein from Turkey chicken fish and pork. I have eggs once a week, and red meet about once a week.
If you are trying to cut back on your fatty tissue and have lots to loose, don't worry about when you do your cardio. Just do it and then do weights, except on a leg day, cut back on the cardio, Don't worry about starving your muscles if you have a healthy diet.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

defunk
defunk
Canada
2009/11/30, 07:51 PM
Sorry for the late responce gents life is crazy. my diet right now is kinda healthy. I have 2 eggs every morning mon-friday. I then have something for lunch usually tuna, eggsalid, or something like that. I then have a protein before and after the gym. it started like that because with my MMA class if I eat before hand I almost threw up the first few days. As I said I have seen nice gains on my upper body (nipples up) but I have this damn gutt. My cardio is about 10 mins as a worm up pre and post weight lifting days.

bottom line. Should I run or do exercise bike/elliptical for an hour three times a week?

I got a new girl on the go and need to shape up fast. (before I get naked, aha kidding.............kinda).

Thanks again for the help.

-defunk
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/30, 09:44 PM
do the elliptical 3x a week for 335 min with a s min cool down. You will feel the benefits and try tweaking the diet. What are you adding to the egg salad?

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

defunk
defunk
Canada
2009/12/04, 02:37 PM
35mins or 335mins(thats like 5 hours)? light mayonnaise onions, what ever nothing horrible.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/12/04, 03:12 PM
35 min each time. Sorry for the typo.:big_smile:

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)