Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Knees pain a lot after I do squats.

khanbash
khanbash
India
2009/11/19, 05:13 AM
My knees pain a lot after I do squats. When I met my doctor, he told me to stop squats. After that I don't have any problems. I'm not doing squats now. Can I start squats again or what is the alternate excercise for squats. Please help.

--------------
Power is not revealed by hitting hard or often but by hitting true.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/19, 03:22 PM
Most of the time it'sbad form that causes knee pain during squats.
One reason is squatting with your knees too far forward. It should be the glutes taking the brunt of your weight, not your knees, so make sure your knees stay behind your toes. Also, keep your knees in alignment with the toes. Twisting them in or out could place unnecessary stress on the joints.

Good substitutes are:
Ball Squats-Pile Squats-Lunges, and step ups.

If you continue to feel pain, STOP IMMEDIATELY!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Hallofo
Hallofo
United States
2009/11/30, 11:08 AM
Well, if the Doc says to stop, you should probobly stop. I have had much the same issue, where my knees hurt if I run/squat/etc... If I stop and start again as soon as I feel better, the pain comes back pretty fast. You need to give your knees time to heal before GENTLY getting back into things.

One thing you might want to try is glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. I found that taking them regularly helps my knee pain and range-of-motion quite a bit. You can find an example here:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1632&sourceType=cs&source=FG&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-googleproduct-_-Glucosamine%20%26%20Chondroitin%20With%20Msm%20-%2060%20Capsules-_-VS-1632&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=VS-1632

I am not recomending this brand or site, I just did a google search and found the cheapest one!

*This is my personal non-medical opinion based on my personal experience, and is not "real" medical advice.

--------------
Hallofo:
Full-time computer Geek, Part time Nerd

\"That which does not kill you has made a tactical error\" -from the \"7 Habits of Highly Effective Pirates\"