Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Weight Training Cardio at Same Time?

consultant1027
consultant1027
United States
2009/10/30, 12:52 PM
I've read and read and read studies regarding Cardio versus Weight Training. A lot of the information out there is from people trying to sell some fitness related product or service and they seem to just cherry pick the studies that support whatever mindset they have chosen to adopt regarding exercise program strategies. Both cardio and weight lifting has its advantages and disadvantages but the logical conclusion seems to be both are important.

For someone that just hit 41 years old, my own conclusion is that circuit training primarily involving weight lifting that elevates your heart to the appropriate target rates seems to me to be the more efficient and beneficial exercise compared to running on a treadmill or elliptical trainer. Obviously what the individual's primary goal is, is a major factor in determining what type of workout strategy is best. You can obviously do one day only cardio and one day only weight lifting but if you can get cardio benefits through a weight lifting circuit with little to no rest periods why bother with a pure cardio workout?

Of my circuit involves a good variety of moves including whole body moves like leg squats with dumbbells in each hand raising up to stand on your toes, if your heart rate is reaching the appropriate targets, aren't you getting a cardio workout at the same time as lifting weights? So why not just do a circuit that is primarily weight lifting that keeps your heart rate above same 65% MHR with brief bouts to 85-90% MHR to get some of the HIIT beneftis everyone is talking about? Seems you would get some of the same benefits of doing High Intensity Interval Traving with a purely cardio exercise (like treadmill, elliptical, bike) but at the same time you would build muscle (or at least prevent the loss of muscle which can occur with cardio.)

My goal is fat loss and increases muscle tone. I do typically play tennis or ride my mountain bike once a week for fun in which I get some pure cardio that exercises my legs some more. But other than that it seems like a weight training circuit that keeps my heart rate elevated would be the best way to go?

Also I'm wondering about rest days. My schedule is hectic. It is hard to stay to a fixed schedule. Sometimes I can workout 3 days in a row, sometimes I don't workout for 3 days. I'm seeing mixed info regarding the necessity to give your muscles a rest. My weight lifting circuit is not intense as I'm going for tone, not going for body building huge muscles so I rarely push myself to muscle failure and am doing weights that I can do 15-20 reps, 2 sets. One person pointed out there are people that have manual labor jobs where they are challenging their muscles 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They don't have 'rest' days (except the weekends) so to me, if you aren't body building and just lifting for tone, seems to me there wouldn't be any big benefit of making sure you don't lift two days in a row?

kenny_wtf
kenny_wtf
United Kingdom
2009/11/19, 10:02 PM
cardio is definitely good in getting rid of the calories and increasing muscle tone, specially when coupled with weight training. but have a balance of both and have a healthy balanced diet too. too much of cardio or too much of weight training might even cause you to waste your muscle. so the key is having a balance, too much of anything can be detrimental you know. hope this helps.
Davetheman26
Davetheman26
United States
2009/11/20, 10:42 PM
Most likely this is off topic,, Sorry.

I had typed something about my father and his way of life but guess I took too much time doing so and it didn't post.. My father was a log cutter for 30+ years. Ate his breakfast for lunch, drank coffee, whiskey, and smoked like it was going out of style. And some how had the body of God. Muscles everywhere. Hell his nose looked like a muscle. and never worked out in a gym. Just old fashion hard work made him the man he was.. He died of cancer 2 years ago.. spent about 2 weeks of his life in the hospital.. On his death bed My aunt swore he looked just like a bodybuilder..
The human body is capable of incredible strain and pain. And my father was proof of that..
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/20, 11:46 PM
Amazing!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)