Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

You are what you eat

JillRoman
JillRoman
United States
2009/09/18, 09:14 AM
Ok, so I have an issue.

Does anyone have advice on how I can eat healthy while still cooking meals my fiance likes? He is thin and doesn't need to diet. Ever since we have been together I always eat what he eats. If he eats Tacobell, of course, I will eat Tacobell. If he eats hot wings, of course, I will eat hot wings. Now that I have baby fat to lose (just had a baby 6 weeks ago) I really need to start eating healthy meals without being tempted to eat unhealthy meals.

Is there a way I can manage seperate meal plans without losing my head?
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/09/18, 01:06 PM
Well, if he's not on board with healthy meals make him cook for himself. I'm a man and I cook for myself, so can he.
Part of staying healthy is putting yourself in an environment that allows you to succeed. He needs to realize that if he pushes that crap on you it will mean your failure.
And just because he's skinny doesn't mean he's healthy. His insides could be looking like a sewer and never show it on the surface. The benefits of healthy eating go waaaaay beyond weight loss.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/09/18, 03:56 PM
DITTO!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/09/18, 10:41 PM
My husband can cook, but meals at our house are either joint decisions or he has to eat what I prepare. He says he will never make negative comments about what I serve because he didn't have to think about it.

As for when we go out to eat I try to find the healthiest thing on the menu, I make my own selections not agree to what he eats. Try to move him away from the Taco Bells of the world to maybe the Subways instead.

Eventually he will thank you for sticking to your guns with healthy meals because even if he thinks he doesn't have to watch what he is eating because he is skinny, there are things like high cholesterol and diabetes that can sneak up.

--------------
madmama

It may be difficult but it is possible
bigjockhill
bigjockhill
United Kingdom
2009/09/19, 06:18 AM
Have you tried to explain to your fiance what you are trying to do and achieve, because if you have and he is half a man, then he will help and support you and do whatever it takes for you to reach your goals, this includes changing his diet to match yours.
i agree with madmama, cut out the taco bells and all the other junk food, it's the only way, good luck.
JillRoman
JillRoman
United States
2009/09/19, 10:12 AM
I might need a guideline to healthy cooking. For one, I am not a Chef and thats a fact! Haha. I think what needs to happen is throw out the junk in the house and strictly shop for healthy food ingrediants. :)

He does support me (verbally) but he doesn't stop me from eating that very tempting ice cream bar in the freezer. I think he just thinks if I jog it will just all disappear. :laugh:

I told him last night that we are going to start eating healthy together if he wants to see my figure again! :) So, I threw out the rest of the cheez-it's in the cupboard. Which he loves.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/09/19, 03:46 PM
OK, so , you like Ice cream? Substitute for frozen yogurt.
Chips , cheez-its? Substitute for biscotti, better crunch, taste and very low fat .
Vegetables? steam them, or raw.
Switch over to more fibrous stuff
Lean meats, no ribs. Chicken- no wings.
Stay off white pasta.
Whole grains only.

NO DAIRY or only low fat and skim milk.
I could tell you more but the post would be to big.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Kristenmickel
Kristenmickel
United States
2010/04/30, 08:14 AM
Hey thanks for tips..hope they would work...
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2010/05/11, 08:02 PM
Take care of number one 1st' no-one else will, & thats what is important.

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"
mikdawg501
mikdawg501
United States
2010/06/04, 08:41 AM
i would say the biggest thing is to cut down on all fatty foods and to limit how much you eat by choosing smaller portions