Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

gain weight and muscle

dogger101
dogger101
United Kingdom
2009/07/17, 02:15 PM
hi only just joined this site and i was wondering if anyone could help me out, i'm 18 5"8 weigh around 135lbs and im in fairly good shape, but i'm skinny, i was wondering if anyone could give me useful tips for gaining weight and muscle, i go gym 4 times a week and have a decent excercise regime planned out, the only thing i struggle with is actually gaining weight and muscle mass, a diet plan would be perfect for me, so please any tips are more than welcome.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/07/18, 08:15 PM
You're gonna have to eat....A LOT. Lots of protein, and calories from the cleanest sources possible(i.e. stay away from high fat/carb junk foods). Lift heavy and eat big.
dogger101
dogger101
United Kingdom
2009/07/19, 09:36 AM
thanks for the advice bro, im sort of new to this so any advice on good clean protein sources would be nice, i know the basics like fish and some dairy products but id like to know what foods i should be avoiding, also should i avoid alcohol? seeing as i just turned 18 im drinking quite regularly and would like to know if this is having a negative effect on my weight gain. p.s congrats on the physique you have, by the looks of your pic you look in excellent shape !
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/07/20, 11:58 AM
Alcohol is probably one of the worst sources of calories you can put into your body. The reason being is that it's basically all carbs, and the alcohol slows your metabolism down. Also when people drink, they tend to give into really bad foods.
To put it simply: The booze is going to help you gain weight, but not in the way you want to.
At your age, I'd say the only things you need to avoid heavily are fast food/junk food, and simple carbs like candy,white breads, or just sugary/fatty anything.
Fish and chicken are great sources of protein, and low fat cottage cheese and yogurt are great sources of balanced calories.
And thanks for the compliment. I've still got a bit of fat on my lower abs, which is a holdover from my 300+ pounder days. The work never stops!

============
Quoting from dogger101:

thanks for the advice bro, im sort of new to this so any advice on good clean protein sources would be nice, i know the basics like fish and some dairy products but id like to know what foods i should be avoiding, also should i avoid alcohol? seeing as i just turned 18 im drinking quite regularly and would like to know if this is having a negative effect on my weight gain. p.s congrats on the physique you have, by the looks of your pic you look in excellent shape !
=============
dogger101
dogger101
United Kingdom
2009/07/20, 12:51 PM
great advice, ill keep in mind what you've said and i'll let you know how my weight gain is going, thanks!