Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 100, Messages: 16608

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Supplementing Carbs

vinniebonez
vinniebonez
Canada
2009/07/14, 08:36 PM
Guy at the health food store said protein powders these days don't have a lot of carbs in them because people are so carb conscious.

I bought Gold Medal Carbs powder, its 47 grams per serving. It is made up of simple sugars you can get individually from a health food store if you wanted.

My main goal is adding lean muscle mass, ideally 15-20 lbs over the next year. Going to weight train 3x - 4x a week, my job is physical and I place soccer 1x a week.

Should I take this carb drink in all 3 of my protein shakes I consume in a day or only after I have a workout?

I don't understand if it is for protein absorption or having extra carbs ensures my body doesn't need to break down my tissue because I expend so much energy throughout a day.

Anyone take a carb supplement ? Why do you take it ?

returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/07/15, 11:16 AM
The reason that a lot of protein powders don't have carbs is because if you are on a restricted calorie diet(i.e. cutting), it's hard to get in a lot of protein without breaking the calorie budget.
If you want to gain muscle mass, you need to be taking in a lot of calories period. Most mass building shakes will have a good balance of all calorie types, so it saves you from having to buy separate products. Better would be to simply get all the nutrition you can from real foods, and save the money you spend on supps. I will warn you though: When trying to add a lot of muscle mass, you're gonna put some fat on. It's part of the process.
I pretty much feel that carb supplements alone are a waste. But just so your money doesn't go down the tube, try adding a serving to each protein shake you are taking(providing that your protein shake is just that: protein). Once your supps run out, take a serious look at your diet, and getting all the nutrition you need from real food.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/15, 07:50 PM
Just a suggestion , try making a shake with skim milk, protein powder, fresh berries, and frozen yogurt. Best of both the carb,and protein world.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)