Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Fat vs Muscle

viperstar
viperstar
United Kingdom
2002/06/10, 07:48 AM
Hi,
I'm 6ft and 196lbs and have been working on muscle gain for about 4 weeks now. Results are promising but am not shifting the fat as I need to do more CV work. Is there a training schedule for muscle gain AND fat loss or is it better to shift the fat first and then get back on the weights. The problem is that the weights sessions are leaving me too tired to do any meaningful Cardiovascular exercise.
Thanx!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/10, 11:03 AM
Depends on your goals. If you aim to gain mass, do this first. Then, concentrate on more CV. If you want to do both, then do at least 3x CV per week for 30-60 minutes. Or, hit your search button and look for HIIT (high intensity interval training).

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Sweeny
Sweeny
United States
2002/06/10, 12:00 PM
First of all, you need to know that you cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You must do one or the other to obtain reasonable results. If your priority is to lose fat you should increase your CV and decrease your caloric intake. This will also cause you to lose a little muscle too though, so it basically depends on your priorities as of right now.

--------------
Sweeny, Athlete and Bodybuilder
Dilan
Dilan
Canada
2002/06/10, 03:03 PM
I don't think that is completely true. I did cardio and did mass programs before with tremendous results.
I was roughly 165 to 170 pounds. I worked our hard, ate right and by the end of like three months, I was 195 pounds. I didn't check body fat but by my eye I didn't gain any.
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/10, 03:24 PM
That is pretty staggering Dilan. I have had similar results, not nearly as large a mass gain but I have gotten much broader and defined, gained some weight, despite my best efforts at just getting huge.

I think to really qualify this statement though, you would have to say, it is simply HARDER to do. Most people won't be so lucky. I mean, it has been incredibly challenging to reach what i have, but my metabolism is out of control (very high), so that has helped. I seem to keep slowly adding mass, maybe a couple of pounds a month, while shredding too.

Anyways, it may NOT be the rule, but there are going to be few EXCEPTIONS to it either way.

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."