Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Weak Adrenals

angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2009/04/15, 01:09 PM
Hi. I have not been on the site for months...I have recently discovered why after 15 months of rigourous training and eating better, I have gained 10 pounds and not lost any inches. I have weak adrenals, and some digestions issues, which in turn have affected my thyroid and my metabolism.

I have been looking for some answers and I am finding conflicting information.

Is resitance training beneficial to me? I know cardio is not at this point. I all but stopped working out about a month ago, I have lost a few pounds, but it was all muscle. I would like to do something to maintain my muscle, but not at the risk of putting my health in jeopardy. ( I have had all of these numbers checked by the naturopath)

I currently weigh between 125 and 130 pounds, at 5'2" and attend a karate class for 1 1/2 hours per week.

My naturopath has me on some supplements to help get me back on track ( I have been on them for 2 months), she tells me it will take 3 months or so before I really see improvement...(I am seeing some)

However, in the meantime, I would like to at least maintain my current muscle (my bodyfat % is 28.8, and climbing)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I did a fitbuddy search for "weak adrenals" and didn't find anything - I am a little surprised that no one else has encountered this.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2009/04/15, 01:59 PM
Honestly I would see a real doctor before starting a program if you have these problems. Also, if your naturopath has told you that you have "weak adrenals" I would get a second opinion.

Here is some information on Naturopaths from a reliable source:

"Naturopathy is viewed with skepticism for its reliance on or association with unproven, disproven, and controversial alternative medical treatments, and for its vitalistic underpinnings. As with any alternative care, there is a risk of missed diagnosis; this risk may be lower depending on level of training. There is also a risk that ailments that cannot be diagnosed by naturopaths will go untreated while a patient attempts treatment programs designed by their naturopath. Certain naturopathic treatments, such as homeopathy and iridology, are widely considered pseudoscience or quackery. Natural methods and chemicals are not necessarily safer or more effective than artificial or synthetic ones; any treatment capable of eliciting an effect may also have deleterious side effects."

"K. C. Atwood writes, in the journal Medscape General Medicine, "'Naturopathic physicians' now claim to be primary care physicians proficient in the practice of both "conventional" and "natural" medicine. Their training, however, amounts to a small fraction of that of medical doctors who practice primary care. An examination of their literature, moreover, reveals that it is replete with pseudoscientific, ineffective, unethical, and potentially dangerous practices.""

Supplements are very good, but usually not for you. They are good for the manufacturer, and good for the person selling them, because of all the money the get. Some supplements are beneficial, however these benefits usually can be achieved by following a good diet and excercise routine as well. However about 70% of supplements out there are 100% worthless.

angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2009/04/15, 02:33 PM
The naturopath was my second opinion.

My family doctor has been telling me for the past 2 years that the reason I am exhausted is due to: aging (I am 35 years old)and the simple fact that I have 3 children and work full time. She didn't think it was unusual to have any of the other symptoms that I did. She did bloodwork, but still told me nothing was wrong but that I was simply getting older and could expect to suddenly put on weight and have a hard time getting it off. I came to her with several issues and no answers.

I am very happy with the Naturopath that I have been seeing for the past 2 months.