Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Trying to get Shredded

spinent
spinent
United States
2009/03/27, 06:15 PM
I lift 4x's a week, but it seems that I can't get shredded. I've gained some muscles, but not really any defenition. Please help, i'm losing my mind :angry:
2009/03/27, 06:48 PM
No way anybody can give you any meaningful help without more info. Start by filling out your profile. How long have you lifted?How much cardio do you do? What's your diet like? How old are you? How intense is your workout? You get the drift.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
spinent
spinent
United States
2009/03/28, 05:06 PM

============
Quoting from charlie826:

No way anybody can give you any meaningful help without more info. Start by filling out your profile. How long have you lifted?How much cardio do you do? What's your diet like? How old are you? How intense is your workout? You get the drift.

=============
Yea I do, I've been lifting for about 11 months, I have to be honest my cardio is inconsistant sometimes 1-4x's a week at 20-25 min.Treadmill/Eliptical/Stairstepper. I try to eat between 1500-1800 cal. per day. I'm 43, weigh 205, I train for lean muscle not bulk, high reps. 4 sets of 12-15.

--------------
Trying Hard !!!
2009/03/28, 05:39 PM
The thing that jumps out at me most is that you're under eating. Your reps are way to high to be lifting very heavy. At your age you can lift real heavy and do lower reps without worrying about bulking up. Are your calories really clean? You also need to eat 4 to 6 times a day rather than 2 or three. Grazing is better. Most of getting "shredded" is about eating properly. Really research eating well here. Take a look at the "grocery list for healthy eating" in the nutrition section. If I had to do a wild guess I'd say you need to be eating around 2800 calories a day but that takes experimentation on your part. I'd try that for a month and see what happens.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
spinent
spinent
United States
2009/04/04, 12:03 PM

============
Quoting from charlie826:

The thing that jumps out at me most is that you're under eating. Your reps are way to high to be lifting very heavy. At your age you can lift real heavy and do lower reps without worrying about bulking up. Are your calories really clean? You also need to eat 4 to 6 times a day rather than 2 or three. Grazing is better. Most of getting "shredded" is about eating properly. Really research eating well here. Take a look at the "grocery list for healthy eating" in the nutrition section. If I had to do a wild guess I'd say you need to be eating around 2800 calories a day but that takes experimentation on your part. I'd try that for a month and see what happens.

=============
Thanx, I'll give it a try an let u know how it goes

--------------
Trying Hard !!!
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2009/04/04, 02:00 PM
The thing that sticks out to me most is inconsistant cardio. To get that definition you need to trim the fat- to trim the fat you need cardio.
2009/04/05, 06:38 PM
Cardio as the name implies is for your heart. It will burn some calories and help with weight loss. But if you want to get "shredded" lift heavy and pay very close attention to your diet. Cardio wont hurt your effort but it isn't the main vehicle to get you where you want to go.

--------------

Charlie
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2009/04/06, 01:17 AM
I apologize, out here where I am at shredded means cut. Can't get cut if you have fat, doing cardio burns fat, lifting heavy doesn't do such quite so much. So cardio/diet is most important for our definition of shredded out here :)
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/04/08, 05:55 PM
Strength training burns a lot more calories than you think. Think about all of the calories your body is continually metabolizing to repair the damaged muscle fibers. You get the calorie burn from doing the lifts, then also from repairing the muscle tissue. I'm 100% with charlie826 on this one.

============
Quoting from shaunbroyhill:

I apologize, out here where I am at shredded means cut. Can't get cut if you have fat, doing cardio burns fat, lifting heavy doesn't do such quite so much. So cardio/diet is most important for our definition of shredded out here :)

=============
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2009/04/09, 03:18 PM
You still need to lift weights, I am not saying that. But in order to lose fat, you need a calorie deficit. Doing the same old training you are already doing is not going to get you shredded as he is implying in his original post. Doing extra cardio will bump up the calorie loss. Also, if you notice most bulk / cut workouts have on the cutting cycle lighter weight higher reps mixed with cardio to trim the fat, and on the bulking cycle the opposite, higher weight lower reps, with little/no cardio.

I have been following a bulk/cut cycle for the last 2 years and have gained 50 lbs, and by the end of every cut cycle always appeared shredded. The only other way I know of getting bigger without a bulk/cut cycle is starting off fairly shredded and going for slow, progressive gains without gaining any fat, which is a much longer, slower process.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree here.
2009/04/09, 05:59 PM
Don't want to argue. I don't think we have enough info to offer meaningful help.

Sean, at 29 you can do a Michael Phelps diet and still get shredded. At 43 one must eat very carefully to achieve the shredded look.

I gathered that this guy had lifted as he described for the last 11 months. If that's he case, he hasn't lifted very heavy based on the reps he said he did. You wont build the muscle he wants without first lifting heavy. You are correct in that after he has packed on some muscle, cardio and higher reps will help reveal the muscle he has added but believe me at 43 his diet is the most important aspect of achieving the look he's after.

--------------

Charlie
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2009/04/10, 03:15 PM
Diet and Excercise imo :) Can't have success unless you are successful in both.